metabolic bone disease supplements

ire123

Hello!
We recently realized a baby gecko we had gotten has very mild MBD. After realizing, we’ve been leaving a pan of “Reptivite reptile vitaminas with D3” in his enclosure because sometimes he doesn’t eat all his crickets (so we stopped dusting them). After watching it though, we aren’t sure how much he even licks it.
I’m starting to wonder if it working. He has bumps on his front elbows which i know are signs. He doesn’t limp, his hands/ arms face forward instead of in, and he eats/ drinks/ poops perfectly fine. He is friendly and loves to get in our hands, aka hes acting totally normal. I just feel like the bumps on his elbows are becoming a little more pronounced and I want to make sure we are doing everything we can to treat him while he’s young. We are going to start dusting all of his crickets.
I know it’s irreversible, but my overall main question is: can you please let me know if that’s a good multivitamin to use? Thank you! If not, what’s better?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
As far as I know that's OK. My preference is for Repashy Calcium Plus, but that's not the only solution. If you caught it early it may resolve enough for the gecko to ultimately look normal. I bought a 14 gram gecko about 6 years ago that appeared to have mild MBD as well when I got her home. I supplemented and now she's a nice big girl with a very slight deformity of her front forelegs which you wouldn't even notice if you weren't looking for it.

Aliza

ire123

As far as I know that's OK. My preference is for Repashy Calcium Plus, but that's not the only solution. If you caught it early it may resolve enough for the gecko to ultimately look normal. I bought a 14 gram gecko about 6 years ago that appeared to have mild MBD as well when I got her home. I supplemented and now she's a nice big girl with a very slight deformity of her front forelegs which you wouldn't even notice if you weren't looking for it.

Aliza
Thank you! To help your gecko, did you just dust the crickets? Sometimes I feel like mine doesn’t eat all his crickets and when I look the next day at them alive and in the tank, they don’t have much dust left on them. That is why we switched to just putting a pan of calcium in there. However I think I’ll go back to dusting them. Do you think dusting the crickets and the pan would be enough to get my little guy supplemented and on track?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I think maybe you could leave the calcium in there for awhile, but eventually remove it. Geckos can get too much calcium and exhibit side effects that, believe it or not, can resemble MBD.

Aliza

Visit our friends