Missing a patch or chunk of scales - white skin showing!

BigOneAFT

Some background.. I have had 2 AFTs that I rescued from a friend who was not taking proper care of them. They are both male, and had been in the same enclosure for years without any issue. I've had them about 4 years, no problems, no fights, they cuddle and spend all their time together.

Well, I really should have heeded the warnings about housing 2 males, as out of nowhere 2 weeks ago they had a huge fight. Long story short, even with extensive vet care, one of them passed at the vet office. It really was hugely devastating to our family for one of our little buddies to go like this.

The other one fared much better, he had a couple of nicks on his snout and that's about it. We've been giving him betadine soaks every 3rd/4th day, along with a small dab of polysporin.

All seemed fine, wounds are about healed, and out of nowhere he is all of the sudden missing a patch of scales! Please see the attached pic. I don't believe there was any damage to that area from the fight, which is what has me concerned.

I really don't want to go in to details, but I am not very trusting of our local herp vet. I do feel like my other AFT may have lived with better care, as he was not housed properly at the vet office. I really don't want to take my other one there and risk losing him.

Any thoughts?? It doesn't look like 'scale rot', or damage. It looks like the scales just literally fell off. Please see attached pics.

Enclosure is a 20-long, substrate is eco-earth, with heat mats, one side is 92, other side is about 70 measured via IR and remote thermometers. Has a humid box with soaked paper towels. I've removed the humid box once I saw the missing scales, I'm concerned maybe it's too humid for him.

He has been under a lot of stress lately, as we moved him to another enclosure hoping his brother would make it through surgery. Then once his brother passed we moved him back to his original setup.

Thanks all

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    471.3 KB · Views: 7
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    476.9 KB · Views: 5

BigOneAFT

Also, he is a chunky lizard. I don't know if I would call him obese, but he is a fatty. His diet is about 75% superworms, 25% gut loaded crickets.

BigOneAFT

It is possible, but I would say unlikely. I looked him over very very closely after the last incident, and the bite marks and injuries were fairly apparent.

I do recall that this area of his head looked a little dry before the scales fell off, almost flaky maybe, but it's hard to remember for sure and wasn't anything that stood out.

Last edited:

BigOneAFT

Any thoughts on "A&D Ointment"?

I've read that it's great for helping reptile skin from drying out, and I've read that the snake peeps use it when snakes lose scales to help surrounding scales from falling off.

I don't want to overdo the polysporin or betadine baths.

Imperial Geckos

LIVE THE LIFE ™
Any thoughts on "A&D Ointment"?

I've read that it's great for helping reptile skin from drying out, and I've read that the snake peeps use it when snakes lose scales to help surrounding scales from falling off.

I don't want to overdo the polysporin or betadine baths.

I would just leave it alone. It doesn't looked infected. I actually see a lot of scars/burns like this on a lot of field collected adults. Not something I would be concerned with unless it spreads or gets larger. If that were to happen, you should consult with your vet.

Hope this helps!

BigOneAFT

It does help, all input helps! I did, however, put a teeny dab of A&D on the little white spot. All the stuff I've read has said it greatly helps with the surrounding scales, so they stay attached. The 'open' spot is prone to dry out and apparently that can cause surrounding scales to die.

Tonight I'm going to remove all of the eco earth and just put him on paper towels even though he hates it. I have a tile on top of the area where heat mats are so he doesn't get too hot without eco earth.

BigOneAFT

Just an update... He went through a shed, which went fine, and the little patch is closing up. I'm assuming it must've been hidden damage from their fight. Big One is healthy and happy, phew!!

I have been dabbing a bit of polysporin on it now and then. It makes his hide shiny but I feel like it's good to keep that patch from drying out and flaking.

Visit our friends