Missing Toes on Baby Mourning Geckos

Amanda6632

Hello Everyone,

I am seeking help on my growing colony of baby Mourning geckos - 2 of the 5 are missing portions of their toes. I believe it may be for humidity, as when I was just starting out I was adjusting my misting schedule. On the other hand, maybe there is aggression between the geckos, but I only keep 2 hatchlings per tall deli cup.

My question is two-fold: how do I keep adequate humidity on the deli cups while I am away at work, and how do I help the geckos that have already lost their toes? One of the babies is really affected (see picture) as she sometimes gets stuck on top of a pothos leaf (which is promising that she can get up there on her own) but when I open the lid she is stuck - literally stuck to the leaf - and takes a bit to scurry off.

Thank you all for taking time to help me out with this new issue.
1660572983965.png

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
The plants in your deli cup should hold humidity. I can't really imagine low humidity leading to toe loss. Consider experimenting by having only 1 per deli cup for awhile and see what happens. Also, it's possible that having them in a bigger enclosure will give more space and hiding places, but I'm not sure about this since I don't deal with mourning geckos. My impression was that many mourning gecko breeders keep the colony of adults and juveniles together, but I could be wrong about that as well.

Aliza

BLUSH50

It does so by making it difficult for the gecko to rip off the shed causing tourniquet like constriction, cutting off the blood supply.

It can also be caused by insufficient heating. A gecko kept too cool (low metabolic rate) will eat very little if at all becoming nutritionally deficient.

Elisha9

They won’t loose toes due to humidity. Doesn’t happen.
this is because they’re fighting. You’re not given enough food I’d say. I have mums and babies together with no issues in a big viv. They’re pigs and bred Pangea/repashy and flies etc. if I didn’t feed enough mums would eat them.

BLUSH50

They won’t loose toes due to humidity. Doesn’t happen.
this is because they’re fighting. You’re not given enough food I’d say. I have mums and babies together with no issues in a big viv. They’re pigs and bred Pangea/repashy and flies etc. if I didn’t feed enough mums would eat them.
I've taken in many rescue reptiles and several were missing digits. I document everything given by the person surrendering them. Very common in dry conditions and no access to proper humidity. The owners have admitted that they notice shed on toes for a while but didn't know to intervene if necessary.

Visit our friends