Mold growing on eggs

cherishedtiger

Ok, so here I am, doing all my research trying my hardest to get this first time breeding/incubating egg laying thing down.
Then I go into my incubator, check all my eggs, humidity levels all that. And a couple of my eggs are getting a light fuzzy mold on them. They eggs are still looking good, white, firm. Just a tad fuzzy.
What am I doing wrong?! I have lids on the dishes with air holes. I opened all the lids last night. Maybe too humid?
And it isn't all the containers, just 2, and they are some of the more recent eggs.
Any help is always appreciated. I watch these things like a hawk and am willing to do whatever it takes to make sure they are ok.

Thank you!!

Imperial Geckos

LIVE THE LIFE ™
Ok, so here I am, doing all my research trying my hardest to get this first time breeding/incubating egg laying thing down.
Then I go into my incubator, check all my eggs, humidity levels all that. And a couple of my eggs are getting a light fuzzy mold on them. They eggs are still looking good, white, firm. Just a tad fuzzy.
What am I doing wrong?! I have lids on the dishes with air holes. I opened all the lids last night. Maybe too humid?
And it isn't all the containers, just 2, and they are some of the more recent eggs.
Any help is always appreciated. I watch these things like a hawk and am willing to do whatever it takes to make sure they are ok.

Thank you!!

Most likely too much humidity.

cherishedtiger

Makes sense... I popped the lids off will hold off on adding any more moisture. Just wanted to make sure that's all it was and I didn't have some weird thing going on.

Thanks!!!!

cherishedtiger

IMG_0774.jpg

Just took this pic minutes ago. There was another egg in a separate container that had some of the fuzz on it, but not as much.

I do believe they are way to wet and humid, so I am completely removing all the lids for a while.

Let me know what else you guys think. Nothing smells bad, and I have learned the smell of a bad egg! :freak:

But I am open to ALL advice please!!! :help:

TranceZ

I actually use less than that for my Fat Tail eggs, about 1:0.8 Vermiculite/Water.

I heard people use this fomula too. I use perlite with that ratio but notice eggs here and there dent up. Not all just a few. Im doing the 1:1 this year and so far so good.

But seeing these are fat tails eggs that could change everything. I never worked with fat tails. Lol

cherishedtiger

Yeah, last time around I added way too much water... I just fear them drying out. I will let them dry up some. Thanks for the ratio info, hubby usually does all my vermiculite I was the dummy who added too much water... :eek:

cherishedtiger

Plucked out 2 bad eggs. :( went from 15 now down to 13. Some should be ready to start hatching this week!! But that would be on the early side, but now is when to start watching for those first few batches!!! Too excited cant wait!

cherishedtiger

What morphs are you producing Cherish?

No clue! This is the first time I have ever done this. My female is a banded Tangerine and my male is a stripe phase het for albino. So, I will get whatever comes from that cross....

DSCN0965.jpg

all three of them are in this pic, the female banded on the left has not produced any eggs, I believe she is too young yet and honestly had not planned on breeding anyone until next year. But I guess they really get along...
So thats my male in the middle, again het for albino and the female tangerine. So we will see!! Any guesses?

wow, I really need to take some more recent pics of them! These are old!

jbuckets

For future reference:

I've heard if you notice your eggs getting moldy, spreading some athletes foot powder can help control the mold and keep the egg healthy. also obv find a way to dry the vermiculite out too. good luck!

cherishedtiger

Took all the lids off the containers... apparently my incubator holds in moisture/humidity better than I thought! I wipe the front down daily so I can see in and to remove excess moisture.
I removed the moldy eggs 2 of them actually, and just the other day I was welcomed to 2 more eggs from my tangerine to replace them with. :D

My first clutch of 2 eggs is due to hatch any day now... being at work, is hard because I want to go home and check the eggs!! :main_robin:

Visit our friends