My breeding stock (pic heavy)

Q

QtCowgirl

Im breaking up my stock into several posts so I dont overwhelm anyones computer. I am posting these per request :)

My current breeding male, Nubs:
l_478a93a27a02c4c1fe87d562db5522fb.jpg

Nubs next to my previously largest leo, now just my largest female:
l_052f4367479c9ef3967c4e6e7c7c170b.jpg

My retired male:
l_731d0b502238c8608b7129d56c2ba27c.jpg

My breeding females:
l_10fe10a09af7916c497e5472cc6d7099.jpg

l_4230ad09a4ac6ad298a1fb5f35363e91.jpg

l_a4cb9f7531c4290f8f38173280a6122b.jpg

l_f4f5d1fe818f12acceb5ad60ca1a68ef.jpg

l_e43b45d0f076dc2d65db60d4916f8012.jpg

Baker14

BAK3rr
Cool geckos and nice photos. Ive noticed that quite a few of your geckos are pretty skinny. Not sure if its from laying to many eggs, but even a few males are skinny, especially your retired male. Do they all eat regularly?

shadowx362

Excellent Geckos
Hi, Vanessa! You females look quite skinny :( . I would suggest more heavy feeding or maybe check for parasites. I know your a good person since I've Met you before so i dont want people to think wrong of you. Good luck with breeding and putting weight on those females. Oh can you please post Update pics of the geckos you got off me?

Q

QtCowgirl

lol yes shadow

yes all mine eat regularly, but most had JUST laid within the last week. I notice with all my females, once they lay, they get skinny, then pack the weight on. If you would like I can post pics from about 4 weeks ago, before they started laying, they are all fat and sassy.

My male, Im not sure whats up with him. He started losing weight really quickly..in the last 2 weeks. Ive taken him in, no signs of parasites...not sure. Maybe hes just old? Im very worried about him...

Baker14

BAK3rr
its understandable for them to get skinny after laying, just wanted to make sure that they arent being bred now, but have already been bred and have layed.

Q

QtCowgirl

here are pictures taken a few weeks ago of the same geckos, with the exception of Nubs:

My male:
l_47ad4e0d6c57131ddb7976d873aaf756.jpg

My females, pre breeding season:
l_3543d2ac39760710cd01f2ee6aef35b2.jpg

l_481460a48764991b957fd640acb8e109.jpg

l_8ac53296ebcd679d2781fde110891644.jpg

l_fee456fef878ad97942ca6ffda6f9252.jpg

l_39a84f8c4b3e7cfcde36c93ab45651c9.jpg

Q

QtCowgirl

thats correct baker :) I dont breed them back to back, I let them fatten up between layings so they stay healthy :). as for my male...I dont know whats going on with him

paulnj

if you feed him and he gets thin, most likely he needs to be moved away from the females because all he wants to do is procreate. He can smell the females and that's how males find females in the wild.

Q

QtCowgirl

paulnj said:
if you feed him and he gets thin, most likely he needs to be moved away from the females because all he wants to do is procreate. He can smell the females and that's how males find females in the wild.

He is now, and has been for about a week and I still cant get him to eat. About 3 days of not eating while alone and I took him to the vet. She couldnt find anything either. No parasites, nothing. So Im worried, but Im out of resorts, besides force feeding...I honestly have not seen him eat in a little over 2 weeks...Im beside myself as to what to do with him.

shadowx362

Excellent Geckos
Oh nice to see her again :). I am glad they are doing ok. Yeah I just had to seperate my BB male last week because he wouldn't stop breeding so he didn't "have time" to eat.

Q

QtCowgirl

lol shadow. I rotate the male from box to box, so hes with new femles each time...but even when he has his "down time" in his own box alone, he wont eat.

yeah your girl is fat and happy. she just laid the middle of last week :)

paulnj

I suggest moving him to a seperate room and try feeding him every feeder you can get your hands on. Crickets usually work and I have a few males who now reside in my bedroom to get wieght back on (I have 30+ breeder males)

Q

QtCowgirl

wow paul! Ok, I will try that. he is refusing crickets right now, i think he is dabbling with a few mealworms, and i even tried a pinky today...to no avail...so different room it is.

Mel&Keith

Mod Squad Member
Some of the females were a little thin even before breeding. What are your cage temps at? We always have a few that will refuse to eat while they're laying so that's completely understandable. But since they're all thin, maybe there's a common thread that can be tweaked to get their weight up.

Q

QtCowgirl

I never saw them as thin, since their tails all seemed so fat. i keep the tanks at between 85-90 except during burmation. Which seemed thin to you?

Q

QtCowgirl

even though their tails were about as fat as they could get? considering their body size, and the fact that they ate like pigs, i guess i never saw them as thin. the one normal, has a very tiny bone frame, shes petite to begin with but, she ate more than anyone. i just figured they were like people and some had bigger or smaller bone frames and higher metabolisms. and my little snow has always been petite, even when its obvious shes putting on weight.

each gecko eats between 6-8 crickets, sometimes more, per feeding. i feed crickets 4 times a week and they get meal worms daily...i guess i need to up their feed.

Mel&Keith

Mod Squad Member
Just let them eat as much as they will. Since they're all eating but thin, you might consider taking fecal samples to the vet to check for parasites.

Q

QtCowgirl

i actually did that when i took my male in. no parasites. vet just said it may be the stress of breeding and to keep feeding.

as for allowing them to eat all they will, i do. thats just the norm that ive observed. i usually put enough for about 15 crickets per gecko in each tub. i remove the excess after a few hours. it averages out to 6-8 crickets each feeding...give or take :)

Visit our friends