My breeding stock (pic heavy)

Mel&Keith

Mod Squad Member
That's good to hear about the parasite check. Maybe double check your cage temps and supplements. Sometimes it only takes one thing being a little off to get them out of whack.

Q

QtCowgirl

beautiful! well since its summertime their tanks have gotten a little warmer...and i did change calcium suppliment brands...hmmmm

MSMD

Lake Effect Leos
You've got some nice geckos there!

Mel and Paul have a lot of good suggestions as to what's probably keeping them from being a bit heavier. Temps are a really big factor with metabolism/digestion.

My only other suggestion is maybe adding waxworms every once in a while. I have started doing this while my girls are laying and also with one of my boys that has lost a couple grams so far during this breeding season. That seems to be helping to keep their weights up, thus far. I've also mixed up the mealies a bit, offering large regulars sometimes and sometimes Supers. That keeps the interest up on a few of them, also. Just a thought.

Good luck with them!

Q

QtCowgirl

thanks for the tips. yes im glad im here, i dont admit to be an expert. im a novice, i just never heard that my guys were thin. though given my male definately is. i will have to tweak some things around and see if that helps them. i thought maybe part of the reason they went off their feed for a couple days was the stress of moving from a large tank to a racking system...maybe that had a deeper affect than i thought...

Ccrashca069

I love all the differant morphs you have. Great coloring and patterns. I use Rep-Cal products. Just see if they will eat more is all you can do. I feed my leopards primarly mealworms. I am feeding a couple skinnier females that laid waxworms now as well.

Q

QtCowgirl

They are just now starting to express interest in meal worms...they never did before I think because of the lack of activity...I just dont know. I know my females will put weight right back on, no problem. Its my poor male that I just dont know what to do. But Im going to try some of those suggestions and see what happens :)

D

DLS Reptile

Leopard geckos need to be in tip top shape before they go into any breeding situation. I think you may want to check into your cage temps ( if they fall under 82 deg for very long the geckos appetite will suppress. The other thing you have to think about is your feeders. Are they getting the proper nutrition. Breeding takes a huge toll on calcium/vitamin reserves in the geckos body. what are you gutloading your feeders? A leopard gecko that is given the right balance of the above stated requirements will usually not lose any size in its tail. There are exceptions at times though...

Q

QtCowgirl

all my crickets are on a high calcium gutload suppliment. they are also dusted with a calcium suppliment. my day temp ranges from 85-90, my night temps drop to the low 80s high 70s. i also feed mealworms daily, and they are in a dish with some calcium powder. once a week they all get pinkies, with boneaid liquid calcium on them. i know they are getting enough calicum, and my females bounce back very quick after each time they lay. as i keep saying, its just the one tremper male that, for the life of me and my vet, we cant figure out why he is losing weight or not eating. no parasites, and she has seen my stock and my racking system, so she knows how they are cared for. her theory is he is older, and stressed out, so to just give him a mini vacation and see how he does in a few days.

Mel&Keith

Mod Squad Member
I would give him a vacation and try leaving the heat tape on 24hrs a day on your racks. We don't use a night drop on any of ours. Maybe that might make a difference.

Stitch

Mel&Keith said:
I would give him a vacation and try leaving the heat tape on 24hrs a day on your racks. We don't use a night drop on any of ours. Maybe that might make a difference.

I agree, don't use a night drop. Even if I did it wouldn't be more then 2-3 degrees. Also your day temp could be a little higher then 90, like 92-93 is ok.

Q

QtCowgirl

Thats the thing, even though theres a night drop, my heat tape is always plugged in...its just the way my house is. :(

I just got some stuff at the LPS called JumpStart. I hear rave reviews on it. Its a high calorie appetite increasing paste. Hopefully it will do the trick! I will let you guys know. Ive used it on all my geckos that seem to be thin, and all my babies that for a while were off feed to give them an extra boost!

Visit our friends