my first gecko- where to buy materials?

jesse.lew1s

Hello everyone! Ive just recently joined the forum and read the rules so if I do something wrong I apologise -

After research I started looking for the best place to buy my gecko and everything they need. I went right to kijiji and messaged some folks but none have responded, so I think I'm going to try petsmart. Petsmart has these kits- (they're called the Exo-Terra Leopard Gecko Starter Kit,) and they look pretty promising, but I'm not sure how much I trust petsmart for this. The only reason i say this is because they also sell all sorts of weird bug supplements that all have terrible reviews.

Overall I'm just worried about where I'm buying my habitat, heating, sand, ect. Obviously I'd prefer to spend less money, but only if what I'm buying is the right thing. Any advice on where to buy your materials? Is it better to buy kits or do the research and buy individually?

Oh also I live in Ontario, Canada if that helps with what stores I have available to me.

JadedGeckos

well if you want a lazy tip i would say watch the youtuber ( Leopard Gecko ) she has very good and indepth guides on started kits where she rated them. and on the care/setups aswell.

i myself run away from sand and i dont buy from anyone that has had geckos on sand. simply just for the chance of impaction even abit might lower the life span of the gecko. ( yes there are those who are completly fine but i just wanna be safe beter than sorry)

you can if u wanna skimp out on cost build your own terrarium. its very easy to be honest. but i agree that exo-terra has really nice terrariums and i would like to get one myself next time.

and since i made my own terrariums i also bought all my stuff induvidualy from diffrent webshops normally its cheaper on the web than local so i go web. but i would go local if i wanted to support a shop i liked. ( there are none here that i like)

hmm for the US im not sure about the shipping but i think you should have a broader horizon than what i got since im in sweden and it seems like everyone hates shipping here... curse my life. lol

jesse.lew1s

I have actually been watching her videos, but I haven't seen that specific video yet so I definitely will check it out. Thanks!

(and wow ive also learnt how bad of an idea sand is...)

JadedGeckos

just so you dont have to look for it ill link them here one is just leopard gecko and one is reptiles overall. might be a good watch aswell

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Definitely watch the youtube videos. Definitely don't get the kit from Petsmart because it will include things you don't need. Here are some basic suggestions:
enclosure: 20 gallon long tank; Petsmart is fine for that; get a mesh cover for it as well
"substrate": not sand. Reptile carpet is fine. My personal favorite is ceramic tile, 12"x12" lightly textured (and cheap) tiles; you'll have to cut one in half for it to fit
Under Tank Heater: Zoomed heat cable 14' or 25' long. Tape it with Nashua tape (adhesive aluminum foil in a roll that looks like duct tape, available to home improvement stores). Best price is on Ebay
Thermostat: Zilla. You can probably get that at Petsmart
hides, food and water bowls: Petsmart is fine
Humid hide: make your own; google it
lights: don't bother, you don't need them
supplementation: best bet in my opinion is Repashy calcium plus

Gecko: check out morphmarket.com. You will be paying for next day air shipment but it's worth it.

Good luck!

Aliza

Visit our friends