My first

Northstar Herp

Rhacs and Uros, oh boy!!!
Got him/her Oct. 2 at the New England Reptile Expo, they're about three months old. Better pics to come... someday.

fimb1.jpg

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
AWESOME man! Welcome to the world of Uroplatus keeping! And you started with my favorite species. :) That little one is young, they start off with the green and then it slowly changes to browns and tans as they grow. Starting with a young animal like that is a great thing, they adapt to captivity a lot easier than full adults. At 3 months old you should be able to tell sex in about 3-4 months. Congrats!

Northstar Herp

Alright, it's all I wanted to do to him just to get this picture. I'm really in uncharted territory for me with this critter. I love him to death already, but am very apprehensive in almost every way. I still think of myself as a real noob, and this is the most fragile herp I've ever tried to keep.

DSC_0030.jpg

Northstar Herp

Well, I'm pretty new to them, so there's a lot I have to learn. But they need high humidity and a pretty tight temperature range, so it's easy to mess that up. If they're enclosure gets into the mid 80's for a little while, they could die. Mine is captive bred, so it will be more forgiving than most, since the better percentage of them are Wild Caught still.

It's not as much that Fimbs are that fragile, but my other herps are leos, leachianus and a crestie... all pretty hardy species.

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
Fimbs are actually pretty rock solid as far as husbandry goes, it's acclimation that's the real issue with them. They can tolerate higher temps better than many of the Uros, up into the low 80s without a problem, but I wouldn't go above 84. Being that that one is cb, you should have fewer problems than most people. Make sure you take lots of pics as it grows, I wanna see the color/pattern changes. Maybe you're lucky and he/she will turn into a pied! :)
'

Northstar Herp

Update: SHE'S 8.375" long, and starting to look like an adult now. Funny thing is, I put her picture next a pic of the one that just died, and I honestly don't think I can tell them apart. It's a good thing I keep my pics files separated by animal...

IMG_0264.jpg

IMG_0265.jpg

Northstar Herp

Looks great. Love that 2nd pic
Do they flare up/down like Crested?

Yeah, they change color quite a bit, but you can see that from the variety of looks from this one animal. In general, she turns more pastel in the day and her color and pattern get more crisp and high contrast at night.

I think my mossies looks about the same all the time.

The henkeli look drab in the light and their patterns come out at night.

I have another pair of fimbriatus whose color changes severely. They almost don't look like the same animals sometimes.

Desdemona

That is such a neat looking gecko, I saw saw a picture of a young, "Diablo" leaftail online a while ago and was instantly in love. However the care sheets made them sound difficult to keep and for now I am sticking with the easier guys, at least until my son gets a bit older and is (maybe) a little easier himself.

Northstar Herp

That is such a neat looking gecko, I saw saw a picture of a young, "Diablo" leaftail online a while ago and was instantly in love. However the care sheets made them sound difficult to keep and for now I am sticking with the easier guys, at least until my son gets a bit older and is (maybe) a little easier himself.

That's not a bad idea. Leaftails in general are an advanced species (husbandry wise), and their status in the wild is not very stable. The 2011 import quotas were down roughly 90% from 2010 and some species aren't being imported at all.

Do you mean U. phantasticus, or "Satanic leaftail"? They're super cool looking, but pretty fraglie.

If you do ever decide to get one, guentheri or henkeli is the place to start. They're pretty hardy as Uros go.

Visit our friends