My gecko won’t move

revek

My leopard gecko won’t move and i’m worried about him. He’s laying down with his head tilted in a weird position. I think it might have something to do with D3 overdose. I’ve been feeding him dubias coated with calcium with d3 every other night. I did it so often because the powder wouldn’t stick very well to the roaches anyway, and now I’m worried because I just found out that the brand I use has more d3 than it should. Another option is that he’s stressed but I’m not sure why he would be because everything has been normal. His heating has stayed around 90 degrees F for a while now and he’s been eating and pooping normally(every other night). But one thing I have noticed is that his poop has been smaller. I thought it had been because I was running out of roaches and i fed him less than usual(now i have enough for him and have been feeding about 10 roaches that are a little smaller than the space between his eyes every other night)
I’ve also been looking nonstop for a way to cure overdosage but I can’t find anything.

This all started about 20 minutes before this post was made

also here’s a picture of how he was laying
7BBB748E-0B7B-4B0D-A57D-744ED4D37750.jpeg

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
At least from the picture, I don't see anything that unusual about his position. It sounds as if you have a lot of concerns about his health and I don't think anyone is really capable of giving any diagnosis or treatment advice over the internet. I think it's a good idea to take him to a reptile vet and see what they have to say.

Aliza

revek

Yeah you’re right, he just hasn’t been reacting to my touch or me at all, and he isn’t really balancing right. Just how he’s acting seems really off to me. he’s acting lethargic.
There aren’t any available reptile vets either. Also it’s 10 PM for me right now. he might be acting this way because he’s been out in the open pretty much all day because he can see me.

edit: here’s another picture. sorry about how blurry it is but you get the idea.
7C5CBA7C-D858-41CB-BC10-89C71701C6FB.jpeg

Last edited:

revek

At least from the picture, I don't see anything that unusual about his position. It sounds as if you have a lot of concerns about his health and I don't think anyone is really capable of giving any diagnosis or treatment advice over the internet. I think it's a good idea to take him to a reptile vet and see what they have to say.

Aliza
Does it look like he’s starting to shed?
Also, we actually found a reptile vet and should be able to take him in soon.

Edit: a picture of his belly.
B04922E5-253D-4699-A054-327C86E706AC.jpeg

Attachments

• 5BCABB37-8FDD-45C2-B4CD-DEF106164989.jpeg
    5BCABB37-8FDD-45C2-B4CD-DEF106164989.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:

revek

I think the vet is a good idea. Hope things work out OK.

Aliza
It said the vet would be open today, but when I try to call it says they’re closed.
Does that white spot look like an egg to you?
4CEF2967-9292-40B4-9B34-F9BDE545B0B6.jpeg

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
It's hard to tell from the angle. Usually eggs fill the whole abdominal cavity and ovulation shows up as pink spots in the upper abdomen.

Aliza

revek

It's hard to tell from the angle. Usually eggs fill the whole abdominal cavity and ovulation shows up as pink spots in the upper abdomen.

Aliza
Oh yeah, I see what you mean.
We were able to schedule an appointment at the vet today, so that’s a relief.
Thanks for your help

revek

Please let us know what happens.

Aliza
The vet said that he had calcium deficiency. She sent us home with medicine that is fed through a syringe. It’s going well, but hasn’t pooped at all for about a week(his last meal was on the 10th) The vet didn’t think he was impacted, though. He still wants to eat, but he doesn’t try to hunt the cricket. He just tries to bite it instead of “striking” it like he used to. His aim also isn’t as great anymore :(
He’s also been laying on his back. Can geckos get back on their feet on their own or should I help him up after a bit?

Last edited:

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Turn him over if you can. Are you now supplementing his food with calcium and vitamin D3? That will be essential.

Aliza

revek

Turn him over if you can. Are you now supplementing his food with calcium and vitamin D3? That will be essential.

Aliza
I have been supplementing him with that ever since I got him, I believe the problem was that it expired and I didn’t see the expiration date. Now I have new calcium(with D3) and multivitamins. Hopefully I’ll be able to correct this and he’ll get well soon, thank you so much for helping.

Human Alien

My leopard gecko won’t move and i’m worried about him. He’s laying down with his head tilted in a weird position. I think it might have something to do with D3 overdose. I’ve been feeding him dubias coated with calcium with d3 every other night. I did it so often because the powder wouldn’t stick very well to the roaches anyway, and now I’m worried because I just found out that the brand I use has more d3 than it should. Another option is that he’s stressed but I’m not sure why he would be because everything has been normal. His heating has stayed around 90 degrees F for a while now and he’s been eating and pooping normally(every other night). But one thing I have noticed is that his poop has been smaller. I thought it had been because I was running out of roaches and i fed him less than usual(now i have enough for him and have been feeding about 10 roaches that are a little smaller than the space between his eyes every other night)
I’ve also been looking nonstop for a way to cure overdosage but I can’t find anything.

View attachment 80893
Hello, I'm sorry to hear about your baby, anyway I don't see the calcium sacks under the front arm pits, also don't know how old your Leo is, but I am a breeder and learned everything from the OG man himself
"Mr.Ron Tremper" now for my hatched babies I give them "Vionate" until they are 1 year old. Now for my breeding females and my male I give them "Osteo-form SA" but I do lightly dust their food and also leave a dish with these supplements in everyone of my tanks and believe me they will lap it up on their own when they feel they need it. I really hope your baby will pull out of what's really going on. If he/she doesn't improve within 48hrs. I would recommend going to a veterinary for diagnoses. Try to pick him/her up and slightly stimulate and see if she will move around in your hands.

View attachment 80893

revek

Hello, I'm sorry to hear about your baby, anyway I don't see the calcium sacks under the front arm pits, also don't know how old your Leo is, but I am a breeder and learned everything from the OG man himself
"Mr.Ron Tremper" now for my hatched babies I give them "Vionate" until they are 1 year old. Now for my breeding females and my male I give them "Osteo-form SA" but I do lightly dust their food and also leave a dish with these supplements in everyone of my tanks and believe me they will lap it up on their own when they feel they need it. I really hope your baby will pull out of what's really going on. If he/she doesn't improve within 48hrs. I would recommend going to a veterinary for diagnoses. Try to pick him/her up and slightly stimulate and see if she will move around in your hands.
Thanks for the advice.
I’ve already taken him to the vet, and I already do dust his food and he does have a bowl of calcium (no d3) in his tank. I’ll look into it!
He does seem to be getting better, since he finally pooped after a bit more than week.

revek

Aliza
He finally pooped, it was definitely bigger than usual. I think he’s going to be ok.

Visit our friends