My geckos legs have been shaking

Daniel123

Male
- Age & Weight - About three years old
- How long have you owned your leo - Two years
- Where was he/she obtained (ex. Pet store, breeder, wild caught, friend) - A friend who obtained him from the internet.

A) Health/History
- How often do you handle your leo -I do not handle Dobby (name) because I didn't think it was the natural way of life. I am now kind of regretting not trying more when he was young. Side question; is it too late to start handling him; did I have to start when he was a baby?
- Is your leo acting any different today? If so how does he/she normally act which differs from now. - No different today specifically
- Has he/she had any problems in the past, if so please describe.
B) Fecals
- Describe (look any different than normal) - Nothing different from normal
- When was the last time he/she went -
C) Problem
- Please briefly describe the problem and how long it has been going on - His legs shake when he walks. This has been going on for around a month.

Housing:
A) Enclosure
- Size - 40-gallon
- Type (ex. glass tank) - Glass terrarium
- Type of substrate - I use eco-earth
- Hides, how many, what kind - Two plastic hides, one in warm area and one in cool area; 1 plastic moist hide, a plastic log hide, and two made of stones.
B) Heating
- Heat source - One heat mat under warm plastic hide, deep heat projector.
- Cage temps (hot side, cool side) - 85-92 in warmer side, with around 80 in cooler side.
- Method of regulating heat source - Thermostat for both deep heat projector and heat matt.
- What are you using to measure your temps - There is a temperature/humidity.
- Do you have any lights (describe) - A Zilla Heat and UVB basking fixture with the halogen bulb and compact fluorescent coil bulb.
C) Cage mates
- How many (males, females) -No cage mates
- Describe health, or previous problems - No previous problems

Describe Diet:
A) Typical diet
- What you're feeding (how often, how much) - Currently, around 7-10 mealworms every three days. I breed my own mealworms. I hope to have crickets arriving in the coming days. Side question; is it fine that my gecko eats a small amount of eco-earth- from going after the crickets?
- How are you feeding (hand fed, left in dish, ect) I have a little plastic tray that I put in directly in front of the hide he is in and put the mealworms on the tray one at a time.
B) Supplements (describe how often)
- What vitamin/minerals are you using (list brands) - Zoomed Repti-Calcium without D3 and Herptivite Multivitamin with beta carotene. For every three feedings, I dust the insects with the Calcium for two of them and the multivitamin for one of them. I also keep a small bowl of the calcium in the terrarium.
- What are you gut loading food with - Mostly either baby-carrots or celery. The insects are also kept in Eco earth.

I read that this might be because of a lack of calcium, which does make sense. What should I do differently if this is a case. I am thinking about getting a different light fixture maybe; the arcadia uvb setup. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you

Attachments

• IMG_E0978.JPG
    IMG_E0978.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
If it is a lack of calcium (called metabolic bone disease), you would want to supply additional calcium for the leopard gecko. One way that you could identify that he has it is looking at the way he/she moves. If it has trouble getting up and appears to walk on the backs of it's feet. If it is confirmed MBD, you could provide a dish with calcium in it or consult your vet about the issue for exact treatment. Hope this helps!

Also, I would really try to minimize the eco earth consumed when feeding him crickets. It could lead to eventual impaction, which is a very bad issue. I use it for my adult male leopard gecko, but I clean the food and water bowls before putting anything in them.

Daniel123

Ok thanks, there is a dish with calcium in it, so I will just reduce the ratio of multivitamin to calcium so that there are more feedings with calcium. Also I am able to feed mealworms without any real consumption of eco earth. So do you think its even worth it to expand the diet to include crickets? And Currently, I am not noticing any real restraints on his movements due to the shaking. Thanks for the replies!

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Here's the tough thing about calcium: based on what I've heard, geckos can show similar symptoms if they get too much calcium and/or vitamin D3 as they would if they get too little. Here's an article in Reptiles Magazine. The information about the calcium is toward the bottom: https://www.reptilesmagazine.com/supplemental-nutrition-for-your-reptiles/
I don't know why your gecko's legs are shaking or if it's related to the calcium issue. I generally do not keep calcium in the enclosure (and haven't since 2009) except for hatchlings, some of whom seem to need extra calcium. It may be a good idea to check in with a reptile vet.

Aliza

Visit our friends