My Gecko's new basking behavior

juleszuckerberg

Hi fellow gecko guardians!

Recently, I installed a new 60 watt ceramic heat bulb above my gecko's tank and it really seems like he can't get enough of it! He's been spending pretty much all day (and night from what we can tell) on top of his tallest hide, what I assume is the easiest spot to bask from. He also seems to rotate his body very slowly over the course of the day. Is it possible for him to be basking too much? And if so, what are the dangers here? It doesn't seem that he's close enough to the bulb to get a burn, and he does periodically travel around his tank. His eating behavior is pretty normal for an adult, and he's got many hides (dry and wet) to chose from if he wants, as well as an under tank heater. Thoughts?

(Also open to hearing anyone's thoughts on this particular type of bulb and if there's something out there that's even better for a single gecko in a 20 gal tank!)

Attachments

• image0.jpg
    image0.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 2
  • image0-1.jpg
    image0-1.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 2

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
You may want to check the temperature inside the warm hide and make sure it isn't too cold (so he basks to warm up) or too hot (so he doesn't go in there because it's too hot). Otherwise, although I have no heat emitters, I have geckos that are seldom seen because they're in their hides all the time and other geckos who are never in their hides.

Aliza

Visit our friends