My geckos tail! Help please

igizmo

My geckos was shedding and when I woke up to check on him it looked like he bit a part of his tail and a day later it started to dry up wanted to know what I can do or if it’s even normal thankyou image.jpg

igizmo

Is there another gecko in there with him?
No, I do not have another gecko inside the same tank as him. He has shed overnight without my knowledge and when I woke to check on him it had looked like he bit his tail. Probably had a hard time with his shed and accidentally took a bite of his tail. At first it did not look so bad and I thought it would heal with time but a day later it got like the picture.

igizmo

No, I do not have another gecko inside the same tank as him. He has shed overnight without my knowledge and when I woke to check on him it had looked like he bit his tail. Probably had a hard time with his shed and accidentally took a bite of his tail. At first it did not look so bad and I thought it would heal with time but a day later it got like the picture.
He is a leopard gecko and they eat their shed

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Usually when they get a tail wound (like a bite), it doesn't dry up like that. Are you using a thermostat? I ask just in case the hot side inside the hide is too hot and it's actually a burn. The dried up part is going to fall off eventually and a new tail will start to grow from where it falls off, though the new tail won't look quite as nice as the old one. If you can manage a vet visit it wouldn't hurt. Otherwise, watch him and definitely take him to the vet if the tail gets worse.

Aliza

igizmo

Usually when they get a tail wound (like a bite), it doesn't dry up like that. Are you using a thermostat? I ask just in case the hot side inside the hide is too hot and it's actually a burn. The dried up part is going to fall off eventually and a new tail will start to grow from where it falls off, though the new tail won't look quite as nice as the old one. If you can manage a vet visit it wouldn't hurt. Otherwise, watch him and definitely take him to the vet if the tail gets worse.

Aliza
Thank you so much for the info! I do have a thermostat on the side where his heating pad is (it goes into his hide too) to make sure the temperature isn’t too hot for him. Usually at night the temperature drops since it’s cooler but it’s usually a good 90-95° F and if he gets too hot I have another hide on the cooler side (he usually does go into it if he is too hot). Though if his tail does get any worse I will definitely schedule a vet visit for now I’ll keep a close eye on his tail. Again thank you so much for the info!

ZNature

When he shed the shed probably got caught around that part of his tail and cut off circulation. This even happened to one of my leopard geckos from his previous home. That part gets necrotic, dries up, and falls off. Then he will regrow that part of his tail. The new tail won’t look terrible but it won’t look like the original. Usually when the gecko loses its whole tail and it regrows then it looks pretty different. Just make sure it doesn’t get infected because then that would be a problem that would need a vet visit.

igizmo

Thank you for everyone who commented! It has been more than a month now since the post, I’ve been keeping a close eye on his tail ever since but that part of his tail did fall off and It has been growing back now and it looks healthy and non infected! Once again thank you so much for the help ! Gizmo seems to be doing fine!

Attachments

• 20A15B99-58FE-43C3-AC3A-909C1AAB8167.jpeg
    20A15B99-58FE-43C3-AC3A-909C1AAB8167.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
  • A802C6A1-3DE5-4A85-BFBA-E9472B6EA16A.jpeg
    A802C6A1-3DE5-4A85-BFBA-E9472B6EA16A.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Visit our friends