My Leo lost the tip of her tail !

Dskandal

Hi all,

Recently I got a new female baby leopard gecko named her Carrot, and started off by letting her grow in her own vivarium but when she became an adult I set her with my other two female leopard geckos (which both of them get along fine) and after a week of them staying in the same vivarium they were getting along just fine. Today while Carrot was almost done with her shedding I found out that the tip of her tail was lost !!! what do you guys think was the cause of this. The other two female leopard geckos fought with her or was it a shedding problem ? please help because I would like for them to stay together ( Note: I separated them again for now, can't trust them together and put Carrot in a clean paper towel substrate environment so she can heal).
IMG_20200801_083047.jpg Thanks for any help given.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
It's hard to know. It's obviously the least risk to keep her separated. She could also have gotten the tail stuck somewhere but I have to say that one of the other geckos is a very likely culprit. I had 2 geckos together for quite awhile. One of them got loose and when I recovered her, she bit her cagemate. She is now by herself.

Aliza

Dskandal

hmm I see, thanks for your input. I agree going to leave her separated from the others don't want to risk another injury. Thanks again !

ZNature

You said this happened right after she was done shedding so even though it could’ve been some of her cage mates I think the shed probably got caught around her tail and made it fall off. I’ve seen this happen multiple times with Leo’s. Still keep her separated to heal and then if you want to put her back with the others just monitor her. I have three female Leo’s and I keep them separate because I don’t really trust them being together. I even had two walk next to each other and one bit the others tail and then vise versa!

Visit our friends