My leopard gecko’s heat mat keeps falling off

revek

So my leopard gecko’s heat mat has been falling off of the bottom of his enclosure over time, and I was wondering what I should do about it? Should I get a new one that sticks better? For now I‘ve taped it there and ever since then I don’t think it has been producing as much heat as before. I don’t know if it’s because of the tape or some other reason.
Luckily he has been pooping regularly and acting normal.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Was this a new heat mat? I've been told that once the heat mat is pulled off the bottom of the enclosure it isn't good anymore. If it was new, it's surprising that it fell off, but less so if it was used. I highly recommend Zoomed heat cable (get the 14' size for a 20 gallon long) as long as you tape it on with aluminum foil tape (sold at most home improvement stores in the HVAC area with peel-off backing in a roll that looks like duct tape only shiny).
You could try taping a piece of aluminum foil over your current heater so it's sandwiched between the aluminum foil and the bottom of the enclosure to see if that works better.

Aliza

revek

I bought it new at my local pet store and my first and only heat mat. It has been in use ever since I brought my leo home (oct 11 2021) and it has been falling off for a while. My sister got the same brand as me and hers has also been falling off of her snake’s enclosure. I believe the one we have is the Zoomed ReptiTherm Under Tank Heater.
Thank you for the suggestions, I’ll try it out!

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
That's odd, because it's the brand I use and it's never happened with mine. Some of my Zoomed mats are now not working, but it's been over 15 years! I'm replacing them with heat cable as they flake out.

Aliza

Visit our friends