My leos are mating and they only get small bruises in 1 specific hide. Why is that?

Mr.Tabletoper

My Leo's are mating, and they keep getting small bruises and scratches. The hide they get hurt in is pretty small, only really big enough for one leo. This only happens in this specific hide. Why is that?I would take pics, but they are resting rn.

LoveReps

It could be because it's small as you mentioned. If it can only fit one gecko then it's going to be a tight fit for 2 of them trying to mate in it. You can temporarily replace the hide with a bigger one and inspect the inside of the hide and remove anything that could be causing the issue.

Mr.Tabletoper

It could be because it's small as you mentioned. If it can only fit one gecko then it's going to be a tight fit for 2 of them trying to mate in it. You can temporarily replace the hide with a bigger one and inspect the inside of the hide and remove anything that could be causing the issue.
Thanks for the confirmation. I'm saving up for a 36×12 instead of the 20 gallon I have for them now. They just got big faster than I had anticipated, so I couldn't do anything about it at the time. I will make sure to make their new home as interesting (and spacious) as possible.

Mr.Tabletoper

Good luck to you and your Leo's. Are you intentionally trying to breed them? (Probably a dumb question)
This may sound odd, but I've had them for a couple of years and they just started breeding. They are in the same tank, they do not "cuddle" or do any of that stuff. They are brother and sister. Whenever I take one of my leos out, the other one wants to follow. When I first got them, they never let me pick the other leo up. If i picked up the female, the male would start glass surfing until I put her back in. I must be the lucky 10% or something, as everybody else that I know who have leos say that it is odd that they aren't trying to show dominance over the tank. I just figured that if I get a bigger tank, it would mean happier leos.

LoveReps

Even though they are brother and sister, they do not know that. As bad as this will sound I suggest that you seperate them as soon as possible. This is breeding season after all and if you dont want babies or you dont want to risk the female having complications during egg laying (if she's even mature enough) I suggest you get them their own tank. Geckos physically lack the ability to bond and they usually are solitary by nature so they won't miss each other if that's what you are afraid of. Even if you plan to throw out the eggs it shortens the lifespan of the female and can also be life threatening to her. Since the male is maturing he will eventually try to mate with her all year round which will stress the female constantly.

Mr.Tabletoper

Even though they are brother and sister, they do not know that. As bad as this will sound I suggest that you seperate them as soon as possible. This is breeding season after all and if you dont want babies or you dont want to risk the female having complications during egg laying (if she's even mature enough) I suggest you get them their own tank. Geckos physically lack the ability to bond and they usually are solitary by nature so they won't miss each other if that's what you are afraid of. Even if you plan to throw out the eggs it shortens the lifespan of the female and can also be life threatening to her. Since the male is maturing he will eventually try to mate with her all year round which will stress the female constantly.
Kk, thnx for the info. I will get 2 40 gallon tanks then.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
If they're mating, please be sure you've done research on how to incubate the eggs successfully. I have found in my 13 years as a breeder, where I left the male in with the females for the entire breeding season, that with rare exception, the males stop trying to mate with the females by about June (unless I were to separate them for a few weeks and put them back). You can definitely separate them, and certainly should if the female doesn't bounce back from breeding (this has happened with a few of my female geckos and they were immediately retired as breeders), but there are circumstances under which you can keep them together (though not everyone would agree with that).

Aliza

Mr.Tabletoper

They have tried multiple times, but they have stopped trying now. I have checked daily for eggs and nothing. Thnx for the advice though. I plan on moving them to a 40 gallon.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
If the female is not ovulating, there won't be any eggs. Sometimes it takes 2 weeks or more before the eggs are visible.

Aliza

Visit our friends