My new baby wont come out. .

Echo the gecko

Hi, my new baby leopard gecko that i got 2 days ago wont come out of his hide. I even checked every 3o minutes for the whole night. I made the mistake of handling him the first 2 days i got him. Is this major or something that is permanently going to affect him? I fed him 10 worms the first day he got hre and hasnt eaten since. Its been 2 days someone help!!! I do not think he is shedding because he is also in his warm hide.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
It's very normal for juvenile leopard geckos to spend most of their time in their hides. It's instinctual protection for them. You didn't mess anything up for it by handling it. Once you're sure it's been eating I don't see anything wrong with lifting up the hide, taking it out gently. Make a cave of your hand and hold it for a few moments above the cage. Don't take it away from the cage until you're sure it's used to you because if it jumps out of your hand and lands on the floor it may get away (been there, done that).

Aliza

Echo the gecko

It's very normal for juvenile leopard geckos to spend most of their time in their hides. It's instinctual protection for them. You didn't mess anything up for it by handling it. Once you're sure it's been eating I don't see anything wrong with lifting up the hide, taking it out gently. Make a cave of your hand and hold it for a few moments above the cage. Don't take it away from the cage until you're sure it's used to you because if it jumps out of your hand and lands on the floor it may get away (been there, done that).

Aliza
he seems ok even though hes a few months old. Do you think its ok to start handeling him and encouraging him to come out evernthough ive only had him for 2 days? Or should i wait 3 days then begin to move the hides and put my hand in?

Visit our friends