My new crested making me worry

Sandhouse

My first crestie two days ago (first reptile). I know, I know, it's normal for it to not eat for a few days. I worry anyway. I guess I expected it to move around a bit more than this? It's just unnerving to watch it hang upside down for twelve hours with zero movement. I've moved it up to it's food ledge twice (once per day) and put food close to its face on a stick. No interest. I also tried repashy grub pie and no interest at all. I'm afraid he'll be weak or something. I also know that he might have eaten a bit and I just can't tell. But it really looks like it wasn't touched.

Now, tonight after handling him briefly to offer him food again, I took a shower and when I came back he was on the floor in the corner with his face in the sphagum moss. I worried why he would be on the ground like that and I couldn't tell if he was breathing or anything because of the moss so I picked him up again and he reacted by gripping my hand like usual, calm, then I put him onto the plant but he's still right next to the ground. So should I worry about anything?

I've been checking his cage temp and moisture every day, spraying twice a day and measuring the temp at the top and ground level. I have a ceramic heat bulb in because, ironically, I have a disease that keeps my body from self-regulating body temperature and I overheat! So my room is 65F all night, sometimes in the day, but never above 68F. I have a dimmer on the heat lamp and the very top of the cage is around 80F. There is a light bulb also and I leave it on about 6 hours a day for the plants. They would probably be fine with less but they're new and kind of weak right now.

I think part of why I'm worrying a lot is that he feels so incredibly fragile in my hand. I didn't expect that somehow. How vulnerable he is.

Oh, and also had a question about light at night. I have a few small, dim, lamps on very often at night because I have severe sleep disorder (I'm disabled and have a ton of problems btw). I know he moved around the cage at night when I'm asleep but not while I was awake until about 2am. So are these small lights in the room bothering him? Will he only move around when it's really dark?

Thanks for any response. I probably just need to be told to not worry.

JustAWookie

I just recently got my first cresties and went through alot of the worry in the first couple weeks, not eating, being lethargic. I think he just needs time to adjust. I'm no expert but 65-68 is on the low side for day temps. I think they like it around 75. Mine drops from 75 to 69-70 at night and they are active then even with a blue LED or pitch black but sedentary during the day. It does take a few weeks to acclimate.

When I got them some vines to climb on and some silk leaves, in addition to live plants, they really started to explore, too. Do you have any high spots for him to perch?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Sandhouse

@JustAWookie He has a branch with a vine on it, a plant, a large magnetic hide near the top, a cork hide on the ground, and his food ledge. I want to get a twisty vine thingy but I've spent enough money at this point.

I'm wondering if I should totally leave him alone. Just put fresh food in daily and not touch him? I've tried not to handle him but for a few seconds a day - like a said to put him on his food ledge. I'm afraid he won't know where to go for food. Anyway. He's still laying on the sphagnum moss on the ground right now. Maybe he's just cooling off.

JustAWookie

I've gotten advice that said to leave them alone for up to 3 weeks. But if he isn't climbing at least I might be a little more concerned. Maybe the heat lamp is forcing him lower to cool off like you said.

Mine felt fragile when I got them but are starting to gain weight after a month. Give him some time but keep an eye out. I was able to hand feed a bit in the beginning which helped, I think. Maybe not. Been told they can be finicky eaters at first. Maybe put the food close to him at night?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

ScottyP

Try putting a food dish on the ground too. I put one on the ledge and one on the ground and it got mine eating. Also, some geckos like their food to spoil for a day. Try replacing CGD every other day instead of every day. What exactly are you feeding?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sandhouse

He came with a package of Pangea complete. I got him from Pangea so I assume he was raised on it thus far. I've also tried giving him a half a fresh blueberry and some Repashy grub pie stuff. He barely licked at the pie. I have a suspicion he ate a bit of older Pangea that I left in there so you might have a point. I didn't think about the fact that since I had grub pie and blueberry in there I just spritzed it with a little water and left it another day. So I'll leave what he has in there now and see what happens.

He is on his tree branch but hasn't moved from it. He does seem slightly more lively at least. Reacts more to an open cage and me spritzing the place. Not that he runs around but I can tell he's watching me.

Anyway, he's so adorable. Just want him happy.

PS I keep saying "he" because I think I see bumpy growing but I'm probably crazy. He's really young. :)

ScottyP

Did you offer a second dish on the ground? You don't need a dish you can just use a water bottle cap. When I first got mine, this is what I would see in the morning, very little missing. Forget all the other " stuff" until you get him eating the CGD on a regular basis, then you can offer treats every once and a while.
4f388e9f0902f0823c277dbb0577faeb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Sandhouse

Thanks that pic is helpful. After looking at this, I think he ate yesterday night which makes me feel better since this is day four in his new home. He's been on his branch all day so not moving around except to lift his head now and then. I'm doing everything I can for him so he should be ok. I'll try putting food on the ground just in case.

ScottyP

Remember also they are active at night and sleep during the day. I offer food on the ledge and food on the ground now. 9 times out of 10 he will choose the food on the ground.

ScottyP

Have you had any luck? Another idea is testing out different consistencies. Thicker or thinner some like it one way versus the other. Let us know

Sandhouse

I've tried everything and I kinda sorta think he's eaten twice in the past six days. He stays on his branch at the top of the cage. He moves to a new position about once a day but the same spot. I've done different things with the food including more or less watery, leaving it two days, putting some on the ground, trying to feed him with some on a little stick ... and so forth. He still worries me.

Sandhouse

He ate! I made some pangea stuff thick and got a glob on a little stick. Something I've done before. And he was into it finally. I was very glad to see my little guy eat. He ate a few little globs and the next time he attacked the stick so I stopped, afraid attacking something too hard might hurt his little face. So I might go get him some crickets today. We'll see. Anyway, just updating that I'm not worrying anymore at this point and thank you for reassuring me. You guys are great. :)

ScottyP

No live until he is eating CGD regularly. If you start feeding live he may reject the CGD even longer. Once he is eating it on his own regularly you can give live once every 1-2 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Visit our friends