My new New Guinea blue tongue skink

Ruvik

I'm not really sure when it comes to bearded dragons seeing as I never had a bearded. What i like about the blue tongues is that you don't need very very high temps, but you do need a very large cage. I have a 40g breeder and that is like the smallest you can go. The type of blue tongue i have needs very high humidity as well. 50-80% with a hot spot of 95-100F. I do like the fact that their hot spot isn't too hot. This is my first ever blue tongue so I would be able to answer your question better in the future. Food wise, the skinks eat about the same thing as Bearded, though they keep a lot of meat in their diet even when adults. Most people just feed them cat food or dog food, but I always feed my fresh lean turkey, veggies, and fruits from time to time.

warhawk

Thanks for the info it sounds like they aren't too much different. Bearded dragons need a 40g breeder or larger and temps 95-100, but not sure about the humidity. I know my house in the spring and summer has 60-80% and ours does fine.

The taking cat or dog food is a cool bonus also. I will have to ask my wife what she thinks about them they kinda look like a snake in the face and snakes are a huge no no in our house.

Ruvik

I adore my new little one. She is very sweet and cuddles a lot. I love how curious she is and how she likes to explore. I also like how when she is gaming she will curl up on my chest and just chill. If you are looking for one that doesn't need a lot of humidity then try a northern blue tongue skink.

warhawk

I think all the skinks will be too close to the snakes for me. My wife has a healthy fear of them so that's a reptile we won't be keeping.

Right now I'm looking for info on the Uromastyx. I want to find one that will do well in the higher humidity where I live so we can get a pair.

Visit our friends