nasty iguana need to tame quick

leolover23

Thank you for clearing some things up for me, personally. It's nice to have a real life example. :) Do you (just wondering) think it is "impossible" to tame an iguana, at least to some degree?

fuzzylogix

Carpe Diem
i honestly think its impossible to "tame" any non-domesticated wild animal. but the word tame is subjective to your personal definition i suppose. take my example of the dogs. canines have been bred to be domestic animals in the company of humans for thousands of years. reptiles have not. dogs can turn on you when you lease expect it though. its also a matter of how the reptile brain is wired and how small they really are. very few reptiles are alpha predators in the wild, so their instincts naturally are flight or fight. a large iguana can seem "tame" one second, and if you sneeze or there is a loud sound, you may get really deep scratches, a nasty bite, or get a viscious tail whip. i've heard a tail whip from an adult iguana can feel like a baseball bat hitting you. the problem is that people post on youtube, or on forums about how their iguana has full run of the house and how sweet he/she is and calm he/she is. the truth of the matter is that nobody that i know keeps their heater on year round in their house and maintains temperatures near 90 degrees inside. much less running humidifiers in their whole house 24/7 to maintain 80% humidity. the paint would peel off the walls and everything would be soaking wet in the house. so naturally an iguana of that size that roams the house is going to be cooler and drier than he/she should be, and as a result will be more lethargic and seem to be "tame". if you really want some advice on this from a professional, i believe kelli's husband works at the MOLA reptile exhibit at the fort worth zoo. he would be the closest person that i know would have hands on experience with some very large iguanas that are kept in "natural" habitats. i think this discussion is more about what you consider the definition of tame really is. no wild animal can ever be trusted completely, but i do have animals that have more calm personalities and are more easily handled than others. i think if this was a discussion about a bearded dragon, or a blue tongue even, it would have gone differently. the difference is that iguanas get very large, are known to have aggressive traits, and can really hurt you if you aren't careful. whereas beardies and BTS' in most case seem to actually enjoy human interaction. again, that's not saying they are tame, but its something in the species itself that lends them to have more calm personalities. but again, this is just my opinion

Tony C

Wayward Frogger
Is there any practical upside to introducing your religious bias into the conversation? I respect your right to choose whatever theological belief system you want but it contributes absolutely nothing to the conversation at hand. If you are going to start injecting statements like "Only God knows!" then I am simply going to stop responding to you. I'll explain and discuss and debate and you might come out of it with a bit of an education, but the second you start introducing the idea of unverifiable causes, I am done talking about the subject.

Trying to reason against faith is an exercise in futility. No matter how well reasoned your statements may be (and are here), "I believe..." is the ultimate trump card against contrary evidence for those who wish to reject it.

blackadder

I can only comment on my experience. Which wasn't a good one, but that being said I do think there is always an exception to the norm.

I have read a lot of different things like that female iguanas are less agressive than males I read that getting your female iguana spayed helped to reduce the agression (the same didn't work with males).

This is a quote from Henry Lizardlover
"Some (NOT ALL) perfectly tame male iguanas will go into a radical and VICIOUS ATTACK (COMPETITION) MOOD: The male iguana will react toward humans exactly the same as he would when encountering another male iguana with an enraged (really angry) full power, high speed, scary and vicious leaping, lunging, chasing attack toward HUMANS of either sex. This is very DANGEROUS, THE TRAGIC TOP PROBLEM/challenge facing male iguana pet owners."

I read that the worst cases of agression happen when the iguana reaches sexual maturity.

The Green Iguana Society www.greenigsociety.org/
states:
"Many iguanas, with regular handling and taming sessions, will become very tame, much like
any other house pet. Iguanas are wild animals, and they will usually stay wild if they are not handled
regularly and tamed properly. It’s also very common for adult iguanas, especially males, to become very
aggressive - particularly during breeding season. A large iguana is capable of seriously injuring people by
biting and tail whipping. When iguanas get older, even very tame ones, the owner should use extreme
caution and be aware that they can become very aggressive."

I believe that it is the only thing predictable about iguanas is that at some point they will become aggressive

The following pictures of iguana attacks are from HENRY LIZARDLOVER'S website.

vikki_big_bite_wound.jpg

bite_wounds50.jpg

Most people cannot deal with an iguanas mood swings. I could not. I began to resent the animal that I once admired so much. Everytime I had to clean its cage or feed it, I had to deal with being attacked. Forget handling it everyday. The days of handling it past after a couple years of owning it. I wish you luck. Iguana's are truely a beautiful animal, and deserve respect. I hate seeing them for sale in pet stores because people just don't know what they are getting into and that is unfair to the pet owner and more so unfair to the iguana.

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
I can give you quite a few examples of "tamed" iguanas as well. There's been many instances like this that I've experienced in my 14+ years of keeping herps, but one in particular springs to mind. I once got a call from a woman who had a pet iguana. She raised this animal from a hatchling, gave it the highest quality fruits and vegetables, provided a gigantic enclosure, full spectrum lighting, proper heat, even a fully filtered 50 gallon swimming area. The animal grew and grew and would eat from her fingers, and was very "tame" in the layman's sense of the word. Eventually, he out grew any enclosure and was given a room of his own. Now, I saw this habitat personally, and it was one of the best iguana setups I've ever seen. It was fully planted with non-toxic plants, had several species of edibles growing in it, had a sunken, filtered pool with a water fall, a huge custom made climbing area with several basking spots, lighting on timers to simulate natural photo periods, the works. The diet was made up of extremely high quality, varied, organically grown fruits and vegetables. This woman absolutely doted on this lizard. And she interacted with him on a daily basis. Then one day, he abruptly bit her between the thumb and forefinger causing a wound that required stitches. From that point on, she literally could barely get in the room without being attacked. The animal attacked anything and everyone who entered his territory. She tried everything. The "scent" trick thing, favorite foods, non-contact interaction, contact interaction, etc. Nothing worked. If anything, the animal became more aggressive. So she called me. This iguana was a 6 foot, adult male, a beautiful animal, and every bit a Green Iguana by nature. She wanted to know what she did wrong; I told her: nothing. This was just the nature of her pet. I relocated the animal to a home in Florida, where he still lives today with two equally aggressive females. All three live outside for most of the year, and are VERY territorial.
This is just one example, but I've seen it time and time again. There are several misinformed reasonings for iguana aggression floating around. Some say it's sexual maturity(becoming sexually active DOES tend to increase reactiveness and aggression in green iguanas, but it does not however lie behind their basically aggressive nature) some say exposure to natural sunlight can trigger it (it does, but only because the animal feels more "normal" in a more correct temperature/UVB exposure). And every single "tame" iguana I've been in contact with has had something wrong with it's care regime. Once said problem was fixed, bingo, normal, "aggressive" iguana behavior.
So, I will say this, and I'm speaking as someone who has A LOT of experience with green iguanas and the problems that owners have run into with them: iguanas do not make good "pets." They don't want to be nice to you, they don't want you to "be nice" to them. They want to be left alone to be iguanas. If you want a "pet" lizard, get something that has a much less reactive and defensive nature, like a leopard gecko, bearded dragon, etc. If you want a 6ft+ lizard that will never want to be "your friend" and is best kept in a room-sized display setup where it can be observed and cared for correctly and STILL risk serious injury every time you even have to clean the "cage," get a green iguana.
Now there are different levels of aggression in iguanas. Babies are often less aggressive and more likely to run that fight because they are programed that way, tiny iguanas lack the size necessary to survive conflict. Sexually mature animals are more likely to be aggressive because the additional hormones in their systems bring about added reactive triggers to aggressive and defensive behavior. But all iguanas that are kept properly and are healthy are aggressive. It is what they do. Trying to turn them into something they are not is not healthy for the animal, and will only result in frustration and headaches(and probably quite a lot of blood shed on your part). If you truly appreciate and care for the animal, you won't ask it to go outside of it's nature. Reptiles are not domesticated. They are not mammals. They do not go by the same codes and rules that we or other "higher" animals do. Appreciating them truly is based in understanding and accepting what they are and their nature. Why put the animal at risk just so you can get another pet when you are clearly unprepared to care for the one you have correctly? And yes, I agree that the animal should be rehomed. Chances are, even if the OP does provide the right environment for a young green iguana, what will happen to that animal when it's fully grown in 2-3 years? Will it have the space it needs? Will it be respected for what it is; a wild and beautiful animal that is better observed and not forced into the role of a "pet" when it's clearly not interested in doing so? I can't say for sure, but from the way this has gone I suspect not. I know I don't have the capabilities of keeping a full grown green iguana, that's why I don't own one. That's why so many of them die or are without homes. Be honest with yourself about what level of care you can give the animal and if you truly are prepared to enjoy keeping it for the 20+ years it can live when it doesn't want to be handled at all.

Ok I'm done ranting. In closing, here's what I would do: talk to your mom, bring up what's going to truly happen with the iguana, and if the family can honestly care for it correctly for it's life span, if it never allows anyone to handle it. If the answer is no then you should find a home for it with someone who can say yes. Then and only then, do you get the correct setup for a more appropriate species like a leopard gecko.

M_surinamensis

Shillelagh Law
This is a quote from Henry Lizardlover.

Even though you managed to pick a specific quote that wasn't that bad- and even sort of supported the position I have been espousing in this thread, I think I should point out that Henry Lizardlover is a nut.

I do not say this to insult him... I genuinely think he is an individual who is afflicted with a mental disorder of some kind. I've run into him a few times online and every encounter has only served to pile on evidence and strengthen the impression that he is not entirely sane.

Even when he seems to be saying something that makes sense, he should be avoided as a source that is cited for others. His statements vary so wildly all over the map, his understanding of biology is pretty much non-existent, some of his habits and practices that he engages in with his animals are neglectful or even outright abusive. He's just unpredictable and you never know what someone else might read and take away from it if they aren't personally knowledgeable enough to sort through things he has written to try filtering the random spots of decent information from the junk.

He's a lot like Melissa Kaplan in that respect actually, although her goals are very different from his and they are untrustworthy for completely different reasons.

blackadder

I agree with you about Herny Lizardlover, but I thought that taking a quote about the extreme agression and unpredictable nature of iguanas from a man who exploits them to the extremist point of being tame, made a point.

leolover23

I see know what you guys are talking about, I had no idea it was that bad! Sorry for my "argumentative mood", but before I knew of these actual examples, I thought you guys were just being extra hard on the poor things! I just wanted to offer this kid a little bit of a silver lining, and maybe there is some, but based on what I've heard, it seems like a bit of a downhill battle. Best of luck to you! And thanks for helping to educate me :)

And M_surinamensis--I just have to say that though you may be correct, or you may not, this is something completely inappropriate to say. I am appalled that you would judge my words and say that some of my honest opinons, examples, and beliefs are "rubbish" when you directly attack someone. Please, before you post something rude, think about what you are saying and whether or not it's just a little hypocritical. It's one thing to offer a little bit of guidance or a warning for possibly incorrect information, but to blatantly insult someone is not the considerate thing to do.

gecko breeder

WWWOOOWWWW

listen im very pleased with the imformation given by everyone, its alot to take in but it is very thankfull, some words im going to have to say were to much for me and i am 17 years old iv breed leopard geckos for 2 years before having to give averything up, iv owned 2 major plated lizards in a 90 gallon tank and have bred anols for 3 years but i learned so much more than i have in 3 years in total with reptiles, thank you all very much, im sorry is this caused any aggerevation between anyone, and i am goin to talk my family into getting a new pet becase an iguana is not something i think they are not ready for and even realy care about as mch as they need to, if it was up to me and i had the money i would do it all for it but im not in that situation, maby ill just get them to understand that they need to get another reptile that is more manageble for the family like a leopadr gecko for them and one for me :) and hopefully get back into breeding again

thank u sooo muchh im very pleased and more educated than i was an houre ago:main_thumbsup:

scotty

i am with leo lover here... you can tame an iguana it just takes time and patience. Dont listen to the idiots that say you can't. EVEN A HEALTHY IGUANA CAN BE TAMED. Once they are tame they are very awesome animals. Just hold the iguana about 3 times a day until it tames down. I am not saying that this will happen overnight, but in time they will calm down. Also if you are the one that feeds and holds the iguana they will recognize you and become nicer towards you and other people. It may take a few months, but the iguana will become tame. I remember my aunt had one that was really awesome. The first time i held it, it sat on my shoulder and didnt whip or wasn't aggressive in any way. Dont let these people discourage you!!!!! Iguanas can make great pets. You just have to spend time with them. To get your mindset on something good go to u tube and search for tame iguanas. You will see many iguanas that can be very tame. Here is one video. Watch that and then try and tell me that you cant tame an iguana!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-q5y5jsnEoY

M_surinamensis

Shillelagh Law
Dont listen to the idiots that say you can't.

Idiots eh?

Let's examine that.

I say you can't. I've; been keeping reptiles twice as long as you have been alive, have encountered thousands of green iguanas in that time, have a few degrees hanging around saying that institutes of higher learning think I know this biology stuff pretty well and am sitting about five feet away from a copy of E.O. Wilson's "Sociobiology" just in case I feel a need to brush up on animal behavior.

And in support of your brilliant conclusions you have... a Youtube video of a sketchy looking iguana filled with such insightful commentary as "don't shit on my checkbook."

Someone's an idiot here. I don't think it's the people you think it is though.

robin

Idiots eh?

Let's examine that.

I say you can't. I've; been keeping reptiles twice as long as you have been alive, have encountered thousands of green iguanas in that time, have a few degrees hanging around saying that institutes of higher learning think I know this biology stuff pretty well and am sitting about five feet away from a copy of E.O. Wilson's "Sociobiology" just in case I feel a need to brush up on animal behavior.

And in support of your brilliant conclusions you have... a Youtube video of a sketchy looking iguana filled with such insightful commentary as "don't shit on my checkbook."

ok that just made my day LOL

Northstar Herp

Rhacs and Uros, oh boy!!!
Heck, I'll chime in, everybody else seems to have an opinion on this one...

and I'll mention something that hasn't been brought up yet.

We live in a free market economy, one that balances itself naturally if left alone long enough. There is a reason why leopard geckos are so popular and common, and why every pet store had ten iguanas when I was a kid but have none now. Sure, iguanas look like a great idea when they first became popular, but the market has adjusted itself and now they live in Florida.

My point is that iguanas on every shelf in the eighties and the fact that you almost never see them now points to their being horrible pets.

That's my bit, now you herp-o-knowledgeable guys can have it back.

scotty

Idiots eh?

Let's examine that.

obviously you are close minded >.>. my aunt had a very healthy and tame iguana... It lived for like 18 years or so and never whipped or bit anybody. So they definately can be tamed. The language in the video has nothing to do with the tame iguana... here is another. This guy's name is tom crutchfield and he has been breeding iguanas for many years and he has tame iguanas. So say all you want i dont really believe it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Td1r7HKwrWo

fuzzylogix

Carpe Diem
im strictly going by my experiences here, and as my last posts stated, i'm currently rehabbing a rescued female juvie iguana this very moment. she is back in great health, and she bites, scratches, whips her tail, etc. the first week i had her she would sit on my arm while i hand fed her after every warm bath. now that her temps and humidity have been corrected, and she has been fed properly, she is back to her normal wild self. and i still handle her every day, just wearing welding gloves. there are some that will argue that iggys can be tamed, but if you read ANY of the previous posts instead of just skipping to the end, you will see more than enough proof that iguanas do not make good pets. they are wonderful eye candy, but not gonna snuggle up to you like a puppy. and if they do, they may just decide that you are invading their space and then rip your face off... just sayin'

scotty

im strictly going by my experiences here, and as my last posts stated, i'm currently rehabbing a rescued female juvie iguana this very moment. she is back in great health, and she bites, scratches, whips her tail, etc. the first week i had her she would sit on my arm while i hand fed her after every warm bath. now that her temps and humidity have been corrected, and she has been fed properly, she is back to her normal wild self. and i still handle her every day, just wearing welding gloves. there are some that will argue that iggys can be tamed, but if you read ANY of the previous posts instead of just skipping to the end, you will see more than enough proof that iguanas do not make good pets. they are wonderful eye candy, but not gonna snuggle up to you like a puppy. and if they do, they may just decide that you are invading their space and then rip your face off... just sayin'

Did you rescue her from the wild?

Visit our friends