Naultinus grayii

Enigmatic_Reptiles

Quality is Everything
I was interested in getting some of these but was wondering if anyone has ever had them before? Any information or insight on these would be awesome. And if someone owns any I would love to see pictures.

Enigmatic_Reptiles

Quality is Everything
I know someone who has a pair available for $5000, (old friend) but i was just wondering if anyone has ever worked with them or anything. I love the species but want to make sure they are a good one to keep and breed.

B

Bob

From what I've read, Naultinus are very sensitive to high temperatures. And they are normally kept in screen cages, and if possible kept outside. Also they only give birth to 2 babies a year if you are lucky. Unfortunately I have no experience with Naultinus, so this info is just from what I've read.

snowgyre

New Zealand is extremely strict about the import and export of animals. They protect their native species with a great deal of fanaticism, and rightly so! Mammals (except for two species of ground foraging bats...yes, these bats fly around, then land on the ground to chase insects around) aren't native to NZ, so they're very worried about the impacts of stoats, possums, cats, etc.

To my knowledge, the only Naultinus present in US collections came from zoo overflows. I honestly don't know how the genus even landed overseas considering how strict New Zealand laws are.

In NZ, Naultinus typically live in areas where the annual temperature high rarely exceeds 80F. I don't know much about the care of this genus, but I would assume that they would require temperatures and humidities similar to Rhacodactylus.

They're an awesome lizard though. I didn't see any wild specimens in NZ while I was there, but I did see a few captive individuals at some nature centers. Very awesome.

supperl

G.Man <- ask HJ
The few things I know are that ppl in Germany and around as house them in screencages in the backyard. It shouldn´t get tooooooooooooo cold but actually it seems liek you can jsut hosue the moutside and than what I was told is that it´s farily easy(for us in Germany due to pretty same temps).

We have many breeders in Europe and way more with nonlegal animals (on that one I´m pretty sure).

All in all awsome animals.

Visit our friends