Need advice on getting the best tank

scissorrunner13

Okay, y’all, I’ve got 2 questions: #1: which do y’all prefer for a first timer’s leo tank: 20 gallon long, or 20 gallon tall? Also, #2: do you prefer the front open enclosures, or the ones where you reach in the top to get to your pet? From what I’ve researched, leos don’t climb, so i myself feel like getting a 20 gal long would be more hospitable to my future family member than getting a front open enclosure....

The reason I’m asking is because we’re going to go buy our very first enclosure for our very first leo, and while I’ve heard amazing things about the front opening enclosures, when I’ve searched them, I’m mainly only seeing 20 gal tall tanks, and those are SO EXPENSIVE... I feel like, at least at the beginning of this journey, making sure my future leo is as comfortable and healthy as possible, and at least for right now, the 20 gal long would be more beneficial for it than the front opening 20 gal talls.....

What with this being our very first tank, i want to mainly stick with necessities and comfort for my future pet, and then start working on the bells and whistles as we go, depending on what we learn we want based on our new pet and its personality....

Any advice/opinions are more than welcome in this particular subject... just please keep in mind this is the beginning of our journey in having a leo in our lives! ❤

indyana

I definitely prefer front opening BUT if it's too pricy, plenty of folks use normal screentop enclosures just fine.

There are plenty of custom cage sellers on eBay and Etsy where you might be able to get a less expensive cage. Just look for appropriate dimensions and ventilation.

Some brand name recs if you go front opening:

Handcrafted Herps 30x15

Zilla 30x12x16

Exo Terra 24x18x12

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I think the simplest thing is a 20 gallon long. It's 6" longer than the 20 tall and, as you note, the leopard gecko needs the floor space as opposed to the height. It will also make it easier for you to get to your gecko with a lower enclosure. Keep checking craigslist as there are often cheap tanks available.

Aliza

happygeckos3

I have both long (2 geckos but separated by foam board) and a tall terrarium/enclosure. Geckos can climb and I use a coconut that hangs for his house (actually for birds) and he uses the ladder to go home just fine. He's quite an acrobat and doesn't have any problems going up and down. They adapt to whichever enclosure you choose. There is enough space for him to lay on the floor for digestion. He eats well and is healthy. The other two in the long tank are equally happy in their environment, so really it's up to you on the housing. But I do believe the tall terrariums are more expensive. I got it through a friend who no longer needed it. Just be careful to keep front enclosures closed because we've forgotten to close it a few times and he got out and wandered away.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-17 at 6.20.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-17 at 6.20.01 PM.png
    183.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0974.JPG
    IMG_0974.JPG
    1,009.5 KB · Views: 4

Visit our friends