Need help deciding...

BreederPhil

I want to get either a gargoyle, cresti, or a Mossy leaf tail. Not much info on how they behave online. So i was wondering if you owners can give me some knowledge on what its like to won them. Are they friendly can they be carried often stuff like that. Thanks in advance.

MonteQ's

I personally haven't kept Sikorae yet. However, Uroplatus in general are more of a display animal. Most keepers will suggest to keep handling to a minimum as they stress quite easily. They aren't the most forgiving species and many of the animals readily available will be wild caught. They do have some pretty specific needs, and will require consistant care. Be sure to do your homework first and you should be able to avoid some of the common pitfalls.

Here's a link to a pretty basic care sheet for them:

http://www.geocities.com/reptiluvr/sikoraecaresheet.htm

Another good reference is "Leaf-Tailed Geckos The Genus Uroplatus" By Svatek and Van Duin. It's out of print, and a little out of date, but has some wonderful information. Hope that helps.

mikek

I am a huge fane of all three species of geckos that you mention and keep all of them in fair numbers.
A lot of people would probably suggest that you get a crested gecko to start but if you really want an animal with an intriguing personality that you can handle I would go with a Gargoyle ! They are also very hardy, beautiful, and will live a long life if cared for properly.

Good luck !

Visit our friends