Need help with large enclosure group setup

Jocarp

Hi, I’m looking at converting a custom enclosure made for a panther chameleon into an enclosure for some of the New Caledonian geckos. I don’t have any experience with housing multiple animals but the enclosure is huge and I want to make sure I’m doing it right. It’s interior enclosure space is 4’ wide, 4’ tall and 1.5’ deep. It has screen over the openings, a drainage system, Mist King mist setup and I know I’ll need to add more hiding spaces. I loved the crested I had and also like gargoyles. I’d love leachies but don’t know that I could afford it, much less more than one.(I like today’s too, but didn’t know if they should be separated from each other) My goal isn’t to pack them in, but utilize the space but keep the animals happy and thriving! I’m thinking about putting the mat type stuff in the second pic on the ground. The pics are old, there’s now vines and foliage filling space too. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 16BB8768-959D-433F-851B-A150BCECE2C5.jpeg
    16BB8768-959D-433F-851B-A150BCECE2C5.jpeg
    704 KB · Views: 4
  • 70E41170-09DA-41E5-BD04-6152C4877938.jpeg
    70E41170-09DA-41E5-BD04-6152C4877938.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
  • B44B83D2-93AF-462C-9F8F-52B1570B726C.jpeg
    B44B83D2-93AF-462C-9F8F-52B1570B726C.jpeg
    748 KB · Views: 4

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Some people prefer not to keep their New Caledonian geckos together. Currently I have an enclosure with 2 female gargoyles, two enclosures with 3 female gargoyles and a larger enclosure with 4 females crested geckos (mother and 3 adult offspring). The only problem I've had is that every now and then, I find one of the gargoyle's tails in another's mouth but there has been no damage done. It's good to have a lot of hiding spaces. Also consider some really big pieces of cork bark, especially if you get gargoyles because they often flatten everything else. I haven't had much luck with plants in my enclosures, though I do have a bamboo plant in one that's doing OK. Also, have some emergency enclosures available in case someone can't handle the group. And needless to say, only one species in the enclosure.

Aliza

Jocarp

Some people prefer not to keep their New Caledonian geckos together. Currently I have an enclosure with 2 female gargoyles, two enclosures with 3 female gargoyles and a larger enclosure with 4 females crested geckos (mother and 3 adult offspring). The only problem I've had is that every now and then, I find one of the gargoyle's tails in another's mouth but there has been no damage done. It's good to have a lot of hiding spaces. Also consider some really big pieces of cork bark, especially if you get gargoyles because they often flatten everything else. I haven't had much luck with plants in my enclosures, though I do have a bamboo plant in one that's doing OK. Also, have some emergency enclosures available in case someone can't handle the group. And needless to say, only one species in the enclosure.

Aliza
Thank you for the advice!!! I’m lookin more at maybe just a single Leachianus if the enclosure is not too big for the animal. Gargoyles are the other top choice for sure

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
If you get a leachie and it's a hatchling or young juvenile, start it out in a small enclosure. I've had a leachie for more than 10 years now. She was one 7 grams when I got her and until she reached about 35 grams I had her in a 6qt (shoebox size) tub.

Aliza

Visit our friends