Need help with mourning gecko (I'm a newbie gecko owner)

bozz87

Hi everybody, I'm here to ask advice about a mourning gecko I have from a couple of months.
She's 10 months old and from about 3 days, I've noticed she randomly tremble for less than a second (like a spasm of the body); it seems like a hiccup. She also emits a strange sound doing this, like a "tic". It happens about every 20-30 minutes, only when she's awake. I've thought at seizures related with calcium metabolism but I didn't see loss of appetite; also, she's still hunting pretty well the flyes. I feed her with about 10 Drosophila hidey per day, 5-6 days a week; Pangea gecko food is always in the terrarium, and it's changed daily. I dust insects with Zoo Med's Reptivite with D3; I also add a tiny amount of it in the pangea food (consider I dont use a UVB lamp).
She also has no problem moving and jumping; no problems climbing the glass and never seen her fall or even lose grip (for example, I've noticed her doing this trembling when she was vertically stick to the glass; she didnt fall or lose grip). The only thing I've noticed in the last days is that she seems to breath more rapidly (not always, only in random moment, and not during or near the tremblings). Still, I didn't seen anything wrong on her nose or mouth; even when she breaths rapidly she doesn't open mouth to do so.
Could the trembling be related to shed? I'm pretty sure she recently done one shed, because yesterday I've noticed a little bit of dead skin on two fingers of a limb, which she removed by eating them after a while.

A little about the terrarium:
- Glass cube of about 21x21 cm
- Day temp: about 27°C - Night temp: about 25°C
- Humidity: 60-70% (I spray some water twice per day inside it)
- Substrate: coconut fiber + plant soil (50-50)
- Inside it i have a small Fittonia plant, some moss, springtails and tropical isopods (Trichorhina tomentosa) to keep it clean.

HERE'S A VIDEO OF A SPASM (about at second 19-20): https://clips.twitch.tv/PoisedEasyCatUnSane-6dA1fEzNLktSj9Hw?tt_content=url&tt_medium=clips_api

Please help, any advice is welcome, thanks in advance.

Last edited:

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
It's hard to see much from the video. In my opinion if she seems to behave "normally" most of the time I wouldn't worry about it, unless you see it increasing dramatically.

Aliza

bozz87

Hi, thanks for your advice! And I think you're right; as a newbie yesterday evening I tried to document myself a little bit.... And I noticed some video on youtube, showing mourning geckos making their usual chirps. And by looking at them, they almost made the same spasm as mine, so I've started thinking that this behaviour is normal; they do this strange spasm to chirp. Even the sound they emit is almost the same.
/
Here's the youtube video:
And another one:

I will monitor her behaviour on the next days just to be sure but I think she's ok.

Visit our friends