Need lighting/ heating help ASAP please. Juvenile AFT.

Roxy

HI! I have raised a turtle, but I just got my first lizard, African Fat Tailed Gecko! She is a small juvenile.

However, I have done a ton of research and a lot of it contradicts. I am totally confused about the best way to do heating/ lighting. She came with a UVA/ basking lamp. I also got a ZooMED Reptitherm Under tank heater for her warm side. Some sources say all I need is this UTH, but her tank never gets over 70 deg F. What is the best way to provide additional heating( UVA or just a ceramic heater)?

Also should I provide her with a low wattage infrared bulb during the night so temperatures do not get so cold?? Thanks in advance!!

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Congrats on your new gecko. When you say that her tank never gets above 70, are you talking about the air temp or the ground temp? For this type of gecko, the important thing is the ground temp as measured with a digital thermometer and probe or with a laser thermometer. If the ground temp is only 70, you're right, it does need to be higher. If that's the case you would need to see: is the substrate too thick (what is the substrate?), does the under tank heater work?
If it's the air temp that's 70, and the ground temp is in the low 90's then in my opinion, everything is OK. These geckos don't come from a sweltering climate and may actually spend a lot of their time in cooler micro-climates. In my opinion, if there is adequate ground heat and the air temp is comfortable for humans, that's good enough. Many people heat their AFT and leopard gecko enclosures to an air temp of the mid 80's and I think this dehydrates the gecko.
AFT's are nocturnal and I find them to be even more inclined to stay in their hides during the day than leopard geckos, for example. If they're in their hides, they won't get the benefit of most UV lights (though I think Arcadia may make one that does penetrate). Personally, I don't think the UV is necessary and, of course, they should be getting calcium and vitamin D3 supplementation.

Aliza

NearMeGeckos

Congratulations on the new little lizard, and welcome to the worlds greatest forum!

Don't use bulbs at night, it will disturb them. It can actually beneficial for the temp to drop a few degrease at night.

Your on the right, a heat mat is the only good way of heating. Heat lamps are not recommended as leopard geckos do not bask. It should be about 90-95F over the mat but can be 70-75F everywhere else.

Are you using a digital thermometer, and is the probe over the mat or on the wall? It will not give the proper reading unless over the mat.

If your substrate is to thick, it can dissipate the heat. I don't recommend any loose substrates as it can cause impaction, leading to a terrible death which I dealt with many years ago. A non adhesive under counter lining works best. Its cheep, easy to clean, claws and teeth cant get stuck in it, and has no risk of impaction. I get mine at Walmart.

Roxy

Thank you for your replies! My current substrate is an Eco Carpet. I read about the dangers of loose substrate, so this seemed like the best option for now, since she is so little. Her nails have not gotten stuck.

I borrowed a friends laser/ infrared thermometer and I got a much more accurate reading. The warm side of the mat is about 90-95 deg F. The cool side is only 65-70 on the ground. And the air is around 70-75. She rarely leaves her warm hide. My apartment is pretty cold. Should this be okay or should I get an additional heat source for day time? Thank you so much!

panthergecko

If you want to get a very low wattage ceramic heat emitter. But I think that should be fine, might need it depending on your areas winter tho

Roxy

I am up in Connecticut, so I may need one at that time. Sometimes I wish I lived in Florida!

Also, should her moist hide be on the warm or cool side? Or maybe in the center? Thanks!

NearMeGeckos

Temp is totally fine. I find it does help if the moist hide is 85-90 so you could get a mini heat mat to put under it. I used reptile carpet for years and it got smelly really fast. My alterative option is non adhesive under counter lining. You can get it in a variety of natural colors, its cheeps, easy to clean, doesn't smell, doesn't stain, and caries no risk of impaction. I get it at Walmart.

Visit our friends