Need some advice! Swelling of Leo’s eye and face

Kallib

So I’ve had my leo, Mozart, for a year and purchased him from petsmart (I know, but I felt bad and he was incredibly thin). I haven’t had any problems since then, until now. This morning, I noticed his whole left eye was swollen shut, oozing, and his left side of his head is also pretty swollen too. I took a wet q-tip and gently wiped the gunk away, but that obviously isn’t going to do much. Tried to feed him, and he wanted nothing to do with it. Called the vet, and I have an appointment first thing tomorrow. I’m super worried about my little guy, and I’ve never experienced anything like this before. Has anyone dealt with this sort of thing before? Kinda worried about the vet bill, so does anyone have an idea of the price from personal experience? I attached some pictures below of my little guy, I know, it looks rough.

Attachments

• D4C0218C-A48C-4462-B8CC-73843D79437C.jpeg
    D4C0218C-A48C-4462-B8CC-73843D79437C.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
  • 8A9A2ED0-E846-4174-87EC-89E1CFCC8E58.jpeg
    8A9A2ED0-E846-4174-87EC-89E1CFCC8E58.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I'm glad you could get a vet appointment. Sometimes a gecko can get an abscess. It could have been from a tiny piece of shed stuck in the eye or just an unfortunate infection. The vet may need to drain it and may give you some antibiotics for it which could either be something to spread on it or oral medication. Vet fees vary tremendously, so I can't tell you how much it will cost.

Aliza

Kallib

I'm glad you could get a vet appointment. Sometimes a gecko can get an abscess. It could have been from a tiny piece of shed stuck in the eye or just an unfortunate infection. The vet may need to drain it and may give you some antibiotics for it which could either be something to spread on it or oral medication. Vet fees vary tremendously, so I can't tell you how much it will cost.

Aliza
Thanks! I’m a little nervous. They are going to drain the abscess and I have to actually give him antibiotic shots. They were originally going to charge me $550, which included xrays, bacteria culture, surgery, anesthetic, etc. I opted for no X-ray (to see if the infection went to bone) and no bacteria culture because he said without those things there is still a high chance he’d come out okay. I got the price down to $250, which is bearable. Hoping for the best for my little guy.

Visit our friends