Need Some Help with a Kitten

jemjdragon

So my roommate got a kitten from a lady who found a box of kittens abandoned.
This kitten is adorable and playful. She eat dry food and uses the box. She grooms herself and loves to cuddle.
I helped give her a warm bath and we cleaned her ears and clipped her claws.

The lady my roommate got her from said she thinks the kitten is 8 weeks old.

The kitten itself is a chocolate point, with blue eyes, and long fur.
Here is the problem though, she has tons of fleas and seems to have an inflamed bum. It looks like her tear ducts are bigger than normal but I don't know what normal would be with her. She cries when we try to clean her bum from poo with a wet towel. Not like an annoyed cry, like as if it hurts her. We tried to catch all the fleas using flea combs and tweezers. My roommate is taking her to the vet in the upcoming week.

Other than that, is there anything else we can do about the fleas? I know flea products are only recommended for kittens at least 12 weeks of age, so are we just going to have to comb her and pick the fleas out by hand? What about her bum? It looks really red.

BeeBopper

Dawn dish soap is apparently safe for young kittens to get rid of fleas. I used it myself a few years ago when we got our cat from the shelter. I found it on the net and it seemed lots of people did it, worked for me and kitty has had no problems. As for her bum, maybe a little bit of vaseline until she sees the vet? Good luck! :)

DrCarrotTail

Yeah I remember getting kittens in with massive amounts of fleas at our vet several times. It was the vets thought that the kittens were anemic because of the blood loss from fleas - in fact the water from the bath ran rusty red - it was disgusting. I don't want to provide misinformation and would probably wait for the vet if your kitten isn't anemic or in serious discomfort but I believe we gave them a bath in flea shampoo mixed half and half with Dawn (or some other mile kind of soap) and then put a little bit of flea powder on them. These were little bitty 3-4 week old kittens with their eyes just opened.

If you do bathe him just make sure that's he's super dry before letting him go. Kittens can catch cold really easily - even if its not very cold outside.

Dimidiata

Having just gone through this crap with 2 sets of 2 week old kits i can honestly say that dawn is a life saver. However, that kitten needs soft food. Not hard. Most of its hydration will be coming from the fluids in the wet food. Get a nice patte and add a little water to it. Heating it up for a few seconds can help. The rash on the cats bum may be from dehydration. Make sure that clean drinking water is supplied/replaced 3-4 times a day.

jemjdragon

Okay, I will tell her to use some dawn on the kitten.
Wet food gave the kitten bad diarrhea which is why she is getting kitten kibble. Should we put some warm water in with the kibble to make it softer?

katie_

Wonder Reptiles
Occasionally wet food can give cats the runs if introduced too quickly. Slowly give her a few teaspoons a day, and up the amount over time.
All kittens are infected with round worm, and if they have fleas, tape worms are a huge possibility.
That would irritate her little bum.
The vet will most likely deworm her/ deflea her (revolution is my fave), but if shes not healthy enough to be vaccinated, they might hold off.
Many kittens, especially those bred in catteries will suffer from herpes. It affects their eyes and makes them very red and watery. Theres nothing you can do about it, and it will usually clear up as the kittens immune system gets stronger. Sometimes eye ointments will be dispensed to help with the inflammation.
Dont be ashamed little kitten, my cat had herpes too!

jemjdragon

Well she is drinking. She is also pooing a lot. My roommate thinks this is abnormal and is assuming she is sick. She says that she can't deal with a sick kitten so she is going to look for a new home for it before she even finds out iif the kitten is sick or not. However, I am in the process of looking for a kitten for myself (have been looking for one for 2 months), so I might take her. She is really cute and she looks like my older cat (who is at home with my mom) when he was a 2 month old.

Of course the first thing I will do is take her to the vet to get her checked out. This is if I decide to take her and if the apartment will allow us to have 3 cats. (I have 3 roommates. 1 already has a cat and the second who has the kitten is thinking of getting an older cat when she finds a new home for the kitten. My 3rd roommate never had pets but is happy to be around them.)

I'm actually kinda annoyed with the roommate who has this kitten because she has a puppy right now too BUT its too hyper for her now and she is still looking for a home for it. Then she gets this kitten and now she is getting rid of it after 4 days of having it because she thinks its sick because its pooing a lot. And its not diarrhea, its solid. I would not doubt it has parasites though because the amount of fleas it had and from being abandoned in a box outside.

jemjdragon

Never mind. My mother just told me I have to wait to get a kitten because we can't afford the down payment for one right now. Even though I can afford it.

I hope she finds the kitten a good home if she does decide to get her a new home. Even if she does take it to a shelter, this kitten is too adorable to stay not adopted.

Thank you guys for all the quick responses and help.

Last edited:

katie_

Wonder Reptiles
Down payment? Youre paying for a cat?

I would adopt her kitten, but I dont think shipping it would be a good idea.

DrCarrotTail

Maybe he means security deposit for an apartment?

Kittens are a bit costly. You're probably looking at $300-500 minimum for an 8-week old kitten to get the necessary equipment (litter box, food, scratching post), take it to the vet for its 2 and 3 month shots and get it spayed or neutered. I would plan to have about $700 available if the kitten is not 100% healthy when you purchase it (probably a good idea even if it is healthy). If you adopt from a shelter they usually send you home with everything but equipment for $50-$100 including 3-month shots and a spay or neuter from a local vet - at least that's what my dogs came with. I got my cat from the vet I worked for. Shelters also throw in some bonuses like a microchip and a bit of food and a wellness exam. IMO adopting from a vet or shelter is a much better idea than picking one up off the street. Also discourages those people who will purposefully breed their cats for a $20/kitten adoption fee on Craigslist.

jemjdragon

You got it right Lisa. It is for the apartment. And honestly I would totally adopt from a shelter first. That is where I have been looking for kittens and cats for the past 2 months. All my pets, except for my fishes and gecko, are from shelters. I don't like buying pets on impulse which is why I don't have a new kitty yet and I'm still looking and saving up.

Adopting a kitten from a shelter actually reduces my down payment for it in the apartment by 50%. I just fell in love with this kitten my roommate got off of craig's list and I thought if she doesn't want it I can take it. But its not spayed, or had its shots, or seen a vet. Adding the down payment for the apartment made it too expensive for me to take this kitten in. I feel bad she is just going to give it away without having her checked out. I mean she could go to a vet at the UC Davis pet hospital and have it all done cheaper since vet students help the licensed vet on duty to gain experience.

I am finding my roommate is the type of person who buys pets on impulse without thinking of what might happen in their future like them getting sick. She is even thinking of going to the shelter this weekend and getting another cat who is older, before she finds this kitten and her puppy a new home. Did I mention she has a puppy she is trying to find a new home for because it is too hyper now?

katie_

Wonder Reptiles
No dog is too hyper. They are under stimulated. Take it for a run.
My yorkshire terrier is a holy terror unless he runs on the treadmill for 20 minutes a day.

jemjdragon

I agree.
She keeps the dog locked up for hours on end then lets it out to potty once. It gets to run around two hours, then it usually gets locked up again. She doesn't take him out enough and he potties inside the house and his crate, and then she gets pissed off at him. Since it is her dog I can't really do anything except offer to help when she's at work or give her advice, but I'm not home all the time either because of class. I just hope when he gets new owners, that they know how to take care of him. Same with the kitten.

EDIT:
My room mate has now changed her mind and is going to most likely keep the kitten. The kitten is going to the vet for a check up and most likely its first shots.
She is still looking for a home for the puppy but is thinking of taking it to a shelter if she can't find a home for it soon.

This whole situation is very confusing and a bit stressful for me.

Last edited:

jemjdragon

I am sure he will be adopted quickly. He is very friendly, loves to play, and gets along with cats.

The kitten went to the vet today. She got something for fleas and worms. I believe she got her shots too. My roommate says the vet thinks she looks healthy over all but she will need to go back in a month do do some tests. The vet also put something on her bottom to help with the inflammation. Over all she is still a happy playful kitty who loves to purr very very loud.

jemjdragon

Update:
Kitten is doing really well! She is getting big and loves to steal keys and hide them. Almost missed the bus because of that.
She is getting big with a nice round belly (she is not fat, just she is just not skinny anymore) and is completely flea free.
She will be going to get spayed soon. I will post a picture when she sits still long enough for one.

Different problem though, this kitten is the gassiest kitten in the world. We (roommate and I) read this might be due to undigested food in her gut. Does anyone else deal with this? What do you do or feed to help this problem?

Visit our friends