need the 'scoop' on cresteds

tdemp

ok guys heres the thing i was the Gecko Brothel website and was a good deal for a starter kit (160 for an 18 x 18 x 18) compared to 250 at my local pet store. Now i have done research for a little while and want to know like do they need a light if so what watt, do they need UTH just need to know what you guys use in your tanks
thanks guys!

gko reptiles

A New Generation
Cresteds are pretty easy to take care of. We use 20 gal long or wide with lots of stuff to climb on. They do not NEED* lights or heat of any kind as long as your house isn't too cold, but a few cresties that we've owned in the past seemed to like the 60 watt red light we had for night viewing and the mini uth that we actually had on the outside (side) of the tank. Just make sure that you give them a good variety of foods and mist them.... A LOT. Hope this helped! Best Wishes, and Good Luck!

tdemp

thanks a lot
just a few more questions. Is CGD good for there food or do they eat crickets or mealies? Should the subtrate be moist? HOw do you measure humidity and how do you get Humidity up and down. sorry for all the questions but i need to know lol
thanks

gko reptiles

A New Generation
CGD is great for cresties! You might also want to give them crickets once in awhile! Yes the substrate should be moist...ish. You want to make sure to mist the tank a lot, and it should be some kind of substrate that hold moisture (like bark or something, NO SAND). You can measure humidity with a Hygrometer, they can be purchased at any petstore; and to keep humidity up (don't really have to worry about getting it down... lol) just use a mister with water in it!

That's okay about all of the questions! It's relaly not a problem! Oh, and also, they have things like drippers and fog machines in petstores that can help with humidity! :)

Last edited:

crestedgeckogirly

Cresties really are quite simple to take care of. They do best if their enclosure has at least three sides that are solid (front and top can be screen). This helps to hold in the humidity more than cage that's entirely screened would.

Misting twice a day, and also providing a water dish keeps the humidity at an acceptable level. They aren't super sensitive...so, as long as there is always water in their dish, and you're misting, they'll be fine.

They don't require any extra heating sources. It's important to note that if you do use a heat lamp (or red lamp for night viewing), use a very low wattage, and also make sure that they have a cool spot. If you get the cage too hot that is going to be the worst thing you can do to them.

Cresteds like temps in the 70-80 range. Try not to let their cage get much above 80.

As far as substrate is concerned...I personally use cage carpet (adults/subadults) or paper towels (in my hatchling/juvies). The reason for this is b/c I feed crickets, and I don't like them catching substrate w/their dinner. I always fear impaction. However, this is more personal preference. Many crested owners use moss, bark, etc. in their cages.

CGD is an MRP...so, personally my suggestion would be to feed Clarks if you are going to also provide crickets. Just be advised that Clarks diet is NOT an MRP, so feeder insects need to be given if you using it. I've had some luck w/feeding mealies, but cresties largely prefer crickets and roaches.

I would also suggest that you dust your feeders w/Herptivite and Reptivite (they're meant to be mixed together) twice a month for a non-breeding animal, and once a week for a breeder. This will prevent any chances of MBD.

Cresteds also love fruit, so I offer mashed fruit every other week just for variety. Just make sure if you use a baby food there is no added sugar (aka corn syrup). This however should not be used as a regular diet...and should only be given after your crested is eating it's regular diet consistently.

If you're interested in Clarks...there are a few places to buy it on the internet. I personally use http://www.pangeareptile.com/products.htm#clarks

Please let me know if you have any more questions or concerns. I hope I haven't overwhelmed you with info! These are really low maintenance animals, and really a joy to have.

-Andrea ;)

tdemp

that is awesome thank you so much, but whats a MRP? that should be enough info i think you covered it all

crestedgeckogirly

tdemp said:
that is awesome thank you so much, but whats a MRP? that should be enough info i think you covered it all

Sorry, I should have specified. An MRP is a Meal Replacement Powder. It's meant to make up the ENTIRE diet of the gecko.

So, an MRP, you feed alone, and a non MRP you feed w/insects, fruit, etc.

-Andrea ;)

gko reptiles

A New Generation
crestedgeckogirly said:
CGD is an MRP...so, personally my suggestion would be to feed Clarks if you are going to also provide crickets. Just be advised that Clarks diet is NOT an MRP

umm... Andrea? Doesn't "CGD" = Clark's? :main_huh: AHH! Now I'm confuuused!

crestedgeckogirly

gko reptiles said:
umm... Andrea? Doesn't "CGD" = Clark's? :main_huh: AHH! Now I'm confuuused!

Sorry, I guess I should have been more specific!

CGD is most commonly meant to refer to the Crested Gecko Diet produced by T-Rex (aka Allen Repashy). It comes in a little black bottle w/a purple cap (also a 2 1/2 lb size). It's meant to be a COMPLETE diet. Here's a pic:

83292.jpg

Clarks, is actually manufactured by Clark Tucker. It is not meant to be a complete diet, but instead to be given w/feeder insects and fruit. Here's a pic (although this is the brand new packaging):

newpackaging.jpg

Let me know if you have any more questions. Sorry if my info has been confusing. Some people may refer to Clarks as CGD, at which point I'd totally understand the confusion. But, for clarity the crested community nearly always refers to them as...CGD=T-Rex, and Clarks is, well, Clarks.

Hope that helps! Probably as clear as mud since I explained it! LOL :p

-Andrea ;)

Visit our friends