Negligent Owners

jemjdragon

I really hate going to a friend's home just to watch as their pets die. I don't understant it. I even try to help but they choose to ignore me.

One friend has a bearded dragon. She tells me it 5 years old and I'm shock because it is only like 6-8 inches long. They keep it in a tall exo terra, on bark bits, don't provide any basking areas or UVB lighting. Nor do they give it vitamins or calcium. Its front leg is all twisted up and they told me it because it was broken at one point (most likely from weak bones because of MBD). And they claim it won't eat anything but defrosted corn (which I highly doubt). I tried to help but they got really defensive, so I just gave them a bottle of vitamin powder. Can anyone tell me how I can deal with this?

Another friend had a white lined gecko. She loved it until it bit her and drew blood. Then she basically mistreated it until it died.

And finally during my high school years, a girl decided to bring her beardie to school and keep it there as like a classroom pet/extra credit. I was told it was 8 years old and this poor thing was 5 inches long! It was housed on calcium sand, never had water (bowl was always dry), and I never saw it fed. When one of my friends took pity on it and tried to give it water, the owner went crazy! Told her to get away from it because she's going to kill it and that it didn't need water (or something like that). I don't know why the teacher let her keep it in class and kept rewarding her with extra credit. This all turned into drama, and I still don't this the beardie got any better care.

It really bugs me when I have to see animals being mistreated infront of me. How would you handle it if they're not willing to listen? I was thinking of anonymously sticking caresheets in their mail box or onto their tanks.

Tony C

Wayward Frogger
Most pet owners are a lost cause. They buy a reptile because it is cool, but have no desire to do any work or research to keep it healthy. Barely alive is good enough, and if it dies they can just buy a new one. Reptiles are the new goldfish. :main_angry:

BrilliantEraser

Bookworm!
And there are always people like us, there to clean up the mess. I had a rescue case that only lasted three days in my care (looked like an overload of parasites). I cried when she did die, and I doubt her previous keepers even cared in the slightest. :sad:

DoubleZ

If you go at them aggressively they're only going to get defensive. Tell them you know they care about their animals and that you aren't trying to be mean, but their animals will live longer happier lives if they made some changes to their care. Show them proof that what you're saying is true. Show them care sheets and books on reptile care.

Visit our friends