Neophyte Gecko Owner

Stubomatic

Hello,

I'm new to the forum and a bit new to the Gecko life. My son got a Leopard Gecko about 7 months ago and I've been helping him here and there. Recently, I been paying more attention. I looked at a photo when we got him compared to today and notice that he's lost a LOT of his color. He has just recently shed his skin, but he's almost entirely brown, like a peanut. I'm thinking that his environment was getting too cold at night w/o the heat lamp on and that's why he's plain. I did get a tank warmer/pad and have incorporated it...and he tends to lay on it a lot, which I'm taking as confirmation that it's been too cold.

If I'm wrong, please let me know....otherwise, I'm guessing that his colors will return. If so, how long would one expect to see some results.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
It would be most helpful to see a picture of the whole gecko from the top. Meanwhile, the floor temp with the heating pad should be around 90. If it gets too much higher , you'll need a thermostat.

Aliza

Stubomatic

Here are the differences in color comparing now vs. then.

Attachments

• CCA2EB62-93D0-4EC1-AD03-BACD77E0128E.jpeg
    CCA2EB62-93D0-4EC1-AD03-BACD77E0128E.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 5
  • F2CD2D58-31A9-4732-96EC-EA981FE63110.jpeg
    F2CD2D58-31A9-4732-96EC-EA981FE63110.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I'm assuming, the picture of it on your arm is the later one. As it matured, it lost the rest of its spots so there isn't that contrast between the gray and the yellow/orange, which is one thing that makes the orange look brighter. Also, I find that some geckos are brighter as juveniles but then get a bit duller. One thing that concerns me, though it may just be the angle of the photos, is that in the later picture, the gecko looks skinnier than it did in the earlier photo. I think that adding heat 24/7 may result, as you're suspecting, in brighter colors and weight gain.

Aliza

Visit our friends