Nephrurus milli (underwoodisaurus milii)

jakemyster44

I belive that I live near the woman who discovered this fantastic gecko. Dr. Underwood is a teacher at Bowling Green State University, in Ohio, witch is about 20 min away from me. I emailed her a while back, but tere was no responce. Can anyone verify this? I am just curiouse abot their care, and when I googled "Nephrurus milli" and "underwoodisaurus milii" I just found youtube vids, and one short care sheet. The sheet reccomended sand, and I was skeptical. I knw that leo care sheets will sometimes reccomend sand, and that is indeed not the case. So I am turning to you guys. I know GGG and others keep/breed them, so maybe you can help me out. Do you have any good care sheet links? Also, how challenging is breeding? What are "normal" tick tailes priced at? Thank you.

Last edited:

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
I raise Nephrurus milii (reclassified from Underwoodisaurus milii). They are darling geckos, very tame and social, easy to care for, and quite prolific breeders.

I keep mine on a substrate of 50% fine-grade sand mixed with 50% sifted peat moss. They cannot tolerate the heat that leopard geckos do, so I keep the UTH set at no more than 86 degrees on the hottest spot. I mist their cool side 2-3 times a week. They hang out at room temperature quite a bit... even during the daytime.

These adorable little geckos actually thrive better when housed in groups. When I put males by themselves on 'time-out', they become very depressed. They are found in Austrailia in large colonies which include multiple males and juveniles, but I have not tested that. They are very vocal during mating, and I have NEVER seen any agressive behavior between them.

Although I keep a water bowl down for them, I have never seen them drink from it... instead I see them lick the water droplets off the tank walls when I mist. They have great appetites, feeding on dusted crickets and roach nymphs. I have a few that love hand-fed worms, but have never seen them eat out of a bowl.

Unlike leopard geckos, the do not eat their shed, and poop wherever they feel like it, which is the only downside of keeping them in my opinion. They are cute, tame, have very gentle dispositions and lots of personality! I adore them, and see a lot of potential for them in the gecko community as a great pet. They are certainly the easiest Aussie specie I work with!

Griesi

I belive that I live near the woman who discovered this fantastic gecko. Dr. Underwood is a teacher at Bowling Green State University, in Ohio, witch is about 20 min away from me. I emailed her a while back, but tere was no responce. Can anyone verify this?

They had been described in 1823 as Underwoodisaurus- how old is your Dr. Underwood ;)

jakemyster44

not that old, lol, thanks everyone. GGG when you say they like to be housed in groups does that mean multipul males along w/ females? or just multipul females, and lone males? If I got a male and 2 females could they live together year round? I guess that ius my main concern.... not that it is terribly difficult to set them up seperatly, just the group thing was a bit confusing. Also, any idea on what pricing is usually around? I am not looking for morphs (I belive they somewhat exist??) Thanks.

N

Nigel4less

Mutations include, Normals, Light Phase,Hypos, and Super Hypos. Along with the Two seperate naturally occuring Forms. Normal Males Generally Retail $125, Females vary as most breeders won't sell Females alone.

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
Wild N. milii are found in large aggregate groups with multiple males as well as juvies. Like I said, I have not put it to the test whether males can cohabitate. I have housed young sub-adult females with adult females with no issues.

I keep mine in 1.3 groups year around, but if the males pester the females too badly during breeding season, I give them a time out alone for a week or so until the girls can gain a little weight.

N

Nigel4less

Yeah $125-$150 is a about Average for Normal U.milii Males. Assuming you just wanted a pet.

van_veen456

www.crazyreptiles.eu
Wow, I wish I could export to the states!
Normal milli here are around €50...Some breeders even offering them for €30...

Yamori

Aussie Reptile Keeper
The cheapest ive seen them here (Queensland) is $185.00 AUD almost every species of lizerd here is sold from around $85-$200.

Its a little steep considering it costs around $60-65 AUD for a license and log book.(Just got mine recently)

Last edited:

Visit our friends