New AFT Gecko getting Kind of worried

Austinnnnn23

Hello everyone I just recently got an African Fat Tail gecko on november 13th and it still refuses to eat I am just worried since its not full grown (I would probably say around 6 months old) I am just getting worried that its tail wont be able to provide it all of the necessities it needs. I have offered Mealworms, Mealworm beatles, and dubias and ive gotten nothing. I really want to avoid crickets because they are loud and smell terrible but I am worried that that's going to be the only way is there anyone that has had a similar experience with a new fat tail that could give me any advice?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Most fat tails won't eat worms. Check to see that the dubias aren't hiding and burying themselves. When I order crickets, I get the 3/4" ones (Medium). It's only the adults that make noise (though my house sounds like a pleasant campground most of the time). If you house the crickets appropriately and provide food and water crystals, they won't die as readily. It's the dead ones that smell.
When I was keeping AFT's I found that sometimes they would stop eating. This really freaked me out when 2 of my hatchlings did this and their tails eventually ended up smaller than the tails of the next hatching clutch. Often I've been able to "jump start" them by holding them gently and poking a feeder at their mouths. You could try that. It also wouldn't hurt to get a few crickets and see how it goes.

Aliza

Herpin Man

The first thing you should do is make sure that you’re keeping it warm enough. If the temperature in the moist hide is less than 90f, bump it up. If it still won’t eat, offer some crickets. I find that when all else fails, they will usually eat crickets. I believe that temperature influences prey choice, as well as appetite. Whether crickets, dubia, or whatever, smaller prey is more likely to entice them than larger.
I don’t like crickets either. But my herps do.

Visit our friends