New and seeking info

Mcbeck

Hello,

I do not have a Gecko at the moment. I wanted to come on here and get information and learn, before I pull the trigger. I do have a Bearded Dragon, but I have always been interested in Geckos and I'm sure housing one is a totally different ball game.
I wasn't sure where to post, but I think I want an African Fat Tailed Gecko. Just because of looks. Though by no means set on this...
1. Are these easy to keep for a novice Gecko keeper?
2. Also as my Beardie is more of an arid semi-desert dweller. I was interested in something that would be at the other end of the spectrum. Say, something more Rain Forest like? Even a climber?
3. Lastly and most importantly. Good advice on a enclosure, lighting etc. anticipating maybe, keeping 2 or 3 in 1 enclosure, if that's a safe practice for the animals? Any help or suggestions on where to look is appreciated!

LoveReps

1) Yes. Compared to a leopard gecko (common beginner reptile) they are smaller, and they tolerate handling alot better than Leo's.

2) there are plenty of rainforest dwellers you can have as pets. It all depends on what you can handle, how much time you have to care for it, and how much you're willing to spend. A good starter would be a crested gecko. They don't require a whole lot of room and they spend most of their time in the air.

3) uvb isn't necessary unless you want to create a natural day/night cycle. Under tank heaters, heat cables/tape can be used to heat the enclosure and provide belly heat for digestion. Each fat tail requires at least 3 hides each (warm hide, cold hide, humid hide). A 10 gallon can house 1. A 20 gallon minimum could house 2 comfortably. And a 30-40 gallon for 3. I hear a 10 gallon can house 2 but thats a little small imo. If you plan to house multiple be sure to only house females together. Males are territorial and will fight and im sure you don't want them to breed so you can't mix genders (obviously). Females tolerate being housed together though its not recommended. They prefer to be housed alone. This also prevents tank dominance and potential fights that could result in injury.

Hope this helped :)

Visit our friends