New Baby Leopard Gecko Won't Eat

White Shaq

I recently got a baby leopard gecko. I let him in the cage for a day and didn't try to hold him or feed him The next day I tried to give him a wax worm, but he wouldn't eat it. I showed it to him and he even licked it but still wouldn't eat. I tried one more time and I showed it to him and them put it in the cage but he just walked over it and laid on it. I was just wondering if I should leave it in over night or try a different food or just wait a little. Any help would be appreciated.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
It's not unusual for a gecko in a new place not to eat for awhile. Even juveniles sometimes take awhile. Where did you get it from? Is its tail reasonably thick? I'd recommend a bowl of mealworms or a few crickets rather than waxworms which aren't that nutritious and can become the favorite feeder to the exclusion of more nutritions feeders. Even juveniles can go longer than you'd think without eating. When I was breeding them, some of my hatchlings took a long time to get going. Keep offering something more nutritious and give it a few days to a week.

Aliza

White Shaq

We got him from PetSmart and he is really small so I am worried about him. I'll try a new feeder, thanks for the help.

Visit our friends