New Caledonian Gecko

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Hello again. Are Caledonian and Rhacodactylus one in the same?
Geckos in the Rhacodactylus genus do come from New Caledonia. Some informal names for some of these geckos does use the word "Caledonian". Crested geckos used to be in the Rhacodactylus genus but are now in the Correlophus genus.

Aliza

Rubbersun

Hello! I'm not sure if you're still looking for a New Caledonian gecko, but I am moving to a different country soon and unfortunately need to rehome my baby! She is an orange and red stripe and about 2 years old, and I would be able to send you her full enclosure with equipment as well. Let me know if you would be able to take her and we can discuss more details! If not, good luck finding your gecko!

-Brendie Humphreys

thesquidworm

Hello again. Are Caledonian and Rhacodactylus one in the same?
Rhacodactylus encompasses both Gargoyle geckos and Crested geckos. Cresties are more inexpensive and easier to find in the pet trade, while I find that Gargoyles are harder to find, more expensive, but more colorful and tolerate handling far more. I just got a baby garg and he is already pretty docile after the first handling- I got him at a local shop but I would reccomend Gargoyle Queen Reptiles as an online breeder (specializes in gargs and cresties) and Tiki’s geckos as well. They are pretty well known and around the same price range but Tiki’s Geckos has specials where you can purchase a gecko for a little less money but not know what it looks like. Make sure to do a LOT of research before purchasing your gecko, I got mine after 5 months of research and I still had questions. I am happy to answer any of yours as well! A couple other New Caledonian geckos that aren’t in the Rhacodactylus genus are the Lecheanus gecko, or Leachie, and the Chahoua, or prehensile-tailed gecko. Chahouas and leachies are both larger than the crested and gargoyles, (gargoyles being slightly larger than the cresties), and harder to find. Josh’s frogs sells them both for reasonable prices, but they are still rather expensive for a gecko (500-$1000 range) and get to be rather large (leachies are the largest geckos in the world). Make sure to do your research!

thesquidworm

Geckos in the Rhacodactylus genus do come from New Caledonia. Some informal names for some of these geckos does use the word "Caledonian". Crested geckos used to be in the Rhacodactylus genus but are now in the Correlophus genus.

Aliza
Ah, so they are in the Correlophus genus now. Lol many people still saying they are in Rhacodactylus so I was confused

Visit our friends