New Caledonian Giant Gecko

lizzy008

Hello, after months of debate I think I’m gonna go with a Caledonian Giant Gecko. Would the Zen Habitats HERE be big enough? Thanks

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
These are also called leachianus geckos (or "leachies"). Mine is in an 18"x18"18" enclosure which is smaller than what you're considering. They are large, but they don't move around much. I find that she uses the whole enclosure, meaning that she's in different parts of it at different times but she's not roving around. I have a large round piece of cork bark that she likes to spend time in as well. If you're getting a juvenile, it will be best to keep it in a much smaller enclosure to start with. When I got mine, nearly 10 years ago (!) it was pretty small and I kept it in a 6qt shoebox sized enclosure until it got to be about 35 grams.

Aliza

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
For a juvenile: pros of a smaller enclosure is that they can feel safer and it's easier for them to find their food; cons is that you have to have the starter enclosure and the adult enclosure.

For an adult: pros of a smaller enclosure is that it takes up less room and is less expensive. Cons is that if it's too small, the gecko doesn't have much room to move around.

When I got my first crested gecko 16 years ago (he's still with me!) I didn't know about the need to put a juvenile in a smaller enclosure and I put him, as a small1 month old, directly into a 12x12x18. He did fine.

Aliza

Visit our friends