New Cave Geckos

Ellie_A

In the spring of 2012 I picked up 2 cave geckos and later found out that they were both female and that Jezebel was a hainanesis and Raven (previously known as Lucifer when I thought she was a boy) was a luii. This was my first adventure into the world of cave geckos and since then I have been searching for more with little luck.

Last weekend I found 3 more cave geckos at a store and was so excited that I bought all 3 of them! I think that I have their species and sexes figured out but would love confirmation from people more experienced than me.

Poison: Male hainanesis
Poison.JPG

Ivy: Female hainanesis
Ivy.JPG

Lucifer: Male luii
Lucifer.JPG

Can anyone confirm these for me? Also, Poison and Ivy were living together at the store and it looks like Ivy is ready to lay eggs pretty soon.

Ellie_A

They are starting to become more popular and I have heard of a few people who are starting to breed them but most are currently holding back most/all of their offspring from what I have seen. They are probably more readily available in Eastern Canada than they are here in the prairies. I have only ever seen luii and hainanesis, none of the other species.

Big Red One

Hi Ellie,

As above, you have 3 Hainans there. The best way to ID the two species is in the number of body bands, Luii have one more than Hainanensis.....

The female does look rather chunky and therefore may well be gravid. One thing to note is that caves can suffer from 'calcium crash' I not supplemented at this time, so please make sure that she has access to calcium and that all foods are well gutloaded and supplemented. I prefer Repashy calcium plus and dust the food items with this at every feed.

Good luck with them !

Indigo

The first one I've seen in person here in Ontario was the one I bought last fall, my male hainanensis. I haven't seen any since either. Maybe I'll see some at the expos this year. I didn't have luck at them last year.

Ellie_A

The female does look rather chunky and therefore may well be gravid. One thing to note is that caves can suffer from 'calcium crash' I not supplemented at this time, so please make sure that she has access to calcium and that all foods are well gutloaded and supplemented. I prefer Repashy calcium plus and dust the food items with this at every feed.

Good luck with them !

Thanks, I have been dusting with Repashy calcium plus at every feeding for her ( twice a week for the males and my other non-gravid female). I also have plain calcium in a dish in her home, I haven't seen her use it but she might.

Visit our friends