New gecko grandma. Lots of questions!

Monica

Hi, my daughter(10). Recently bought a Leo from petsmart. It is really cute but I’m concerned about its size. It’s tail is pretty skinny. The first day at home we feed it 2 meal worms, a wax worm, and a cricket per petsmart’s direction. Bailey immediately ate the wax worm and a mealie but did not touch the cricket. That was the only day if seen Bailey eat. My daughter feeds it daily and changes the water. My concern is I am not sure how much it is eating. There is poop in the cage daily. she throws in a few of each worm at night. Gave up on crickets because they weren’t being touched. Should I have her switch feeding routine? Maybe only feed it one worm? Since there is always a few mealworms in the cage I can’t keep track of what and if Bailey is eating.

Another question I have is tank temp. We bought a small 10 gal because we were told me it would be too hard for Bailey to find its food/hides if the tank was too big. The lights that came with the take were way too hot. The tank would reach 100 in minutes And was in the 90’s in the evening: The following day I switched to A 15w moonlight for night and a 25w uvb light for day. This is keeping the tank at about 82-85 degrees. But that is the temp in the whole tank. How can I regulate the cool side better or is it ok it the whole take is in that range? It also seems to be the same temp 24/7. I can turn off all lights and the tank will stay at about 74-76 degrees.

here is a pic of little Bailey. Not sure of sex or age. The humidity it not at 50 my daughter had replace the water and spilt some on the thermometer just before she took the picture. It’s actually at 35% on hot and 32% on“cool” side.

Attachments

• 699E4E11-8B6A-404F-A3D4-1A2569623FC2.jpeg
    699E4E11-8B6A-404F-A3D4-1A2569623FC2.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 9

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Welcome! Bailey looks pretty good, actually. Consider these changes:
--get rid of the lights. The lights in the room are enough because she's going to be asleep most of the day anyway.
--make sure your under tank heater (which I hope you have) has a thermostat attached to keep the floor in the low 90's (you can get a ZooMed or Zilla model for about $30).
--once you've done this, you don't really have to worry about humidity or temperature much in my opinion
--Make sure you have calcium and vitamin D3 for supplement. Repashy Calcium Plus is a good brand because it's all in one. Dust the feeders every other day
--Don't feed any more waxworms. They're very fatty.
--Get a bowl and put in some mealworms with a little of the grain bedding they come in. Eventually Bailey will find them and eat them.
--in a few months, try crickets again.

Be sure to ask more questions if you have them.

Aliza

Monica

Welcome! Bailey looks pretty good, actually. Consider these changes:
--get rid of the lights. The lights in the room are enough because she's going to be asleep most of the day anyway.
--make sure your under tank heater (which I hope you have) has a thermostat attached to keep the floor in the low 90's (you can get a ZooMed or Zilla model for about $30).
--once you've done this, you don't really have to worry about humidity or temperature much in my opinion
--Make sure you have calcium and vitamin D3 for supplement. Repashy Calcium Plus is a good brand because it's all in one. Dust the feeders every other day
--Don't feed any more waxworms. They're very fatty.
--Get a bowl and put in some mealworms with a little of the grain bedding they come in. Eventually Bailey will find them and eat them.
--in a few months, try crickets again.

Be sure to ask more questions if you have them.

Aliza
Thank you Aliza. I actually do not have an under tank heater. I’ll run out and get one today. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions!

Visit our friends