New gecko help

gavinsepanik

Hi. I'm looking to get a new gecko. I have a lot of experience with leos and I have wanted to expand my knowledge into some arboreal geckos. I want a gecko that can be kept in groups and is pretty. I've been looking into knob-tails, day geckos, and mourning geckos. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what i should get.

Larry

Have you considered Crested ? One male and three or four females makes a nice group. With moderate foliage they will be seen even during the day. No special heat (room temp), no need for UVB or basking light, daily misting, and easy to feed with Crested Gecko diet.

Jetfire

I've kept breeder groups of cresties (usually 1.3) in 55gal tanks and the 18x18x24 Exoterra enclosure. They get along quite well in group settings. just use multiple food dishes,so that everyone gets a chance to eat.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Day geckos can get very territorial and are unpredictable in groups. Mourning geckos apparently do well in groups though they are pretty small and parthenogenetic so if you start with a few you could end up with a good number. Another arboreal gecko in addition to crested geckos are gargoyle geckos. They can sometimes bother each other in groups, but I usually do well with 1.2 recently moved from an 18x18x18 to an 18x18x24. I have had periods during the past few years where 1 of the 3 (not the same one) would get a bit mauled by the male, probably, and would need a few months in a separate cage, so it's always a good idea to have them separated. If you want some other suggestions, you could go to the Gecko Time archive (www.geckotime.com/archives) and look at the "Three to get Ready" series which ran for over a year on the last week of the month. Different gecko species or genera were profiled each month by 3 experienced keepers.

Aliza

Josh2

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
I like the crestie suggestion above. I've thought about adding a couple females in with my male but I'm not sure if that would be enough females to keep him from bothering them too much :-/

Larry

I like the crestie suggestion above. I've thought about adding a couple females in with my male but I'm not sure if that would be enough females to keep him from bothering them too much :-/
I run a 1.3 in my enclosure. It works very well. In about three months it will be 1.4 when my rescue comes out quarantine.

Visit our friends