New Gecko Owner

lukeyoo

Hi everyone,

The other day myself and my girlfriend rescued a leopard gecko from a not so great condition. We've cleaned her enclosure and have bought new everything (minus the skull). She seems to have settled in quickly and is loving her heat-pad as she didn't have one before. Echo is about 10 years old (we think). And this is the first reptile that we have owned. So, we naturally had a few questions.. To all the experienced owners out there, is it normal for leopard geckos to not want to eat mealworms? We have been putting a few in her food bowl, with calcium and d3 substitutes, but she seems to ignore them. We try feeding her in the evening, as this is what we read would be best, but still nothing. She pokes her head in there and can see them moving about, she just seems to sniff about and then go back to her warm hide. Are there any tips for getting her to eat? She's been eating 2 small crickets a day at the moment, and we have recently bought her some wax worms, although these will be used more as a treat and not as a main feeding source. I was essentially wondering, whether her diet can be sustained on small crickets, or are they bad for her... Any advice to a newbie would be appreciated. I think she's a Albino, but this is only what the old owner told me, I'm not too sure on the specifics. I have attached a few pictures of her :)

Additional notes:
- Warm side is varies between 89-93deg F (depending on whether our heating is on)
- Cold side is about 75 degrees
- 2 Hides, Warm and Moist (the cold one is ordered)
- Cocofibre substrate
- Two water bowls
- One feeding bowl
- Some rocks and plants for her to explore
- Ugly skull

Any advice at all would be great, thanks

Attachments

• IMG_4058.png
    IMG_4058.png
    9.5 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6931.jpg
    IMG_6931.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 8

Bliss13

Sometimes it takes a while for a gecko to settle in and feel comfortable to eat normally. Do you know what she was eating with her prior owner? Some geckos are picky and only want certain bugs. You could try super worms and dubia roaches as well. I think given time she will start eating mealworms.

lukeyoo

Sometimes it takes a while for a gecko to settle in and feel comfortable to eat normally. Do you know what she was eating with her prior owner? Some geckos are picky and only want certain bugs. You could try super worms and dubia roaches as well. I think given time she will start eating mealworms.
She hadn't had food in about a month prior to us picking her up.. So that could be the reason. Although, before she was eating mealworms, or so I was told. I'll keep her on the crickets for now and I'll look into getting some super worms and dubia roaches... Do you think that she'll be okay for now on the crickets? Thanks again!

Bliss13

Oh yes crickets are fine to be on for a while. Make sure you are dusting them of course. Overall crickets are decent nutrition; not the best but not the worst. Key is a diverse diet over time.

lukeyoo

Oh yes crickets are fine to be on for a while. Make sure you are dusting them of course. Overall crickets are decent nutrition; not the best but not the worst. Key is a diverse diet over time.
perfect, thank you so much :) ill be sure to switch up what she eats and eventually get a list of things she will and won't eat :)

AndyBunn

Hi Lukeyoo and Echco and welcome.

You are doing every thing right. Just keep on learning and you can't go wrong.

There's a lot of great people on here with brilliant advice.
Have fun.

Visit our friends