New gecko won’t accept mealworms

Emily1111

I got my leopard gecko at the beginning of February, she’s about 10 months to a year old and when I got her she appeared to only be being fed mealworms however when I took her home she refused to eat mealworms so I thought she was just settling in but after 2 weeks she still wouldn’t take a mealworm, I leave a bowl in for her. I then tried waxworms which she would not take either but turn away instead. I also tried Dubia roaches which I left in a bowl but she didn’t touch them. Finally I tried crickets, she used to eat 1 cricket every night when I released one in front of her but now she doesn’t take it when I give it to her instead I let the crickets into the enclosure and leave them which she hunts herself. I am confused as to why she isn’t taking any type of worms when it’s what she was fed before I got her, I think it would be better for her to eat mealworms because crickets seem to be hard for her to find and they are harder to control. She is also quite skinny and only 27 grams so I’m worried she is not getting enough food. She has a 60cmx45cmx45cm and an extra floor to her enclosure and her warm side is set to 31degrees Celsius which is the same as my other enclosures and those geckos are fine. Doss anyone know why she isn’t eating and how I can get her to try worms.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Some geckos just aren't interested in worms, but you've already tried a bunch of different feeders and that didn't work either. You can see if she's ovulating by looking at her underside to see if there are some faint pink spheres there. Even if she's underweight, she may be ovulating. Where did you get her from? There's always a chance that she wasn't in very good health but it wasn't apparent (I lost a bearded dragon 3 weeks after I got him this year from what turned out to be an unusual and undetectable disease). You may need to take her to a reptile vet.

Aliza

Emily1111

Hi l, thank you for your reply, she doesn’t seem to be ovulating, I got her from a nearby reptile shop, they are generally pretty reputable and I’ve gotten all of my reptiles from them which have all been healthy. Im sorry to hear about your bearded dragon. I think I’ll take her to the vet.
Thank you.

Visit our friends