New Gecko!

taeyam

Hi everyone! I recently became a first-time gecko parent! I adopted an AFT gecko recently with hopes of providing the best home possible. The day after i adopted her out, she went through her shedding process, but fairly quickly. No stuck shed on the toes or anything like that! I know that geckos can tend to not eat as much when shedding, so i offered food as normal and left her to finish the process. However, it’s been a few days later and she doesn’t seem interested in the crickets at all, i’m just wondering if anyone has any ideas of why she could possibly not be eating?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
When I kept AFT's, some of them seemed to go on hunger strikes. Leopard geckos and AFT's do tend to stop eating sometimes. In some cases I was able to get the AFT's started again by holding them and pushing a feeder at their mouths. It's worth a try. Otherwise, sometimes they just don't eat and it makes most sense to keep offering and try not to worry,

Aliza

Herpin Man

A few things that could cause a new (and presumed healthy) fat tail to not eat include:
- not being kept warm enough
- being handled
- lack of secure hiding places
- improper prey or feeding technique
So, make sure that the temperature in the moist hide reaches 90f or a bit more. Do not handle the gecko until it is eating reliably. Leave crickets in overnight for it to hunt. Make sure there are tight, secure hiding places.

Visit our friends