New. Learning before I dive in

bpsnakelady

Hey y'all. I've been thinking about getting a leopard gecko for a while but circumstances have been not so great for adding another critter to the zoo(I have ball pythons, rats, mice, and a dog named Gypsy). Things are smoother now and I figured I'd dive into learning as much as I can before I bring one home. I've been trying to find books, but I'm not sure which ones are 'good' (anyone have any suggestions? I prefer books to forums tbh). Anywho. I like what I see so far. **waves**

indyana

Welcome! A few of my favorites:
  • The Leopard Gecko Advisor - Ray Roehner
  • The Leopard Gecko Manual - Philippe De Vosjoli
  • Leopard Geckos: The Next Generations - Ron Tremper
    On this one, I don't really agree with a lot of the morph identifications, but I do like care guide portion.

While the books above are good starters/references, you'll find the most detailed information online. For example, if you are interested in morphs, genetics, etc., the best information can be found around the web versus in a book. A lot of breeders work and discuss online, including on forums and Facebook groups.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Welcome! You can also check out the 8 year archive of Gecko Time articles, many of which relate to leopard geckos: geckotime.com/archives.

Aliza

bpsnakelady

Oh awesome! Thanks for the suggestions! My son actually just bought a copy of the Leopard Gecko Manual and I was going to read over that this weekend. I'll certainly be diving into the archives and just soaking up info. I won't lie, genetics and morphs fascinate me. But I don't know that I'd ever dive into breeding or anything, I'd rather wait till I'm familiar with the little critters before taking that step. My niece has one, and she instagrams these adorkable pics of this gecko (which is what kinda spiked my interest in the first place) Thank you again for your warm welcomes and suggestions. Time to go lurk and read up! :)

Visit our friends