New leopard gecko mom

Kim247

Hey guys! I have had Zach the leopard gecko for a little over a month. I finally was able to clean his cage. I used a heat sanitizer spray because I didn't want to use chemicals. I put everything in the same spot but I cleaned/sprayed everything and replaced the moss. It's been 3 hrs and Zach refuses to go into his hides and keep scaling the walls and trying to escape. I'm worried about him. Any advice? I feel like he's too stressed to settle in

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
He'll settle in eventually. Things smell different and he's a bit upset but he'll get used to it. (Sometimes they climb the walls even when nothing new has happened). I use the following routine when cleaning:
spray with water and wipe it up
spray with hydrogen peroxide, wait 30 seconds (more or less) and wipe it up
spray with vinegar, wait 30 seconds and wipe it up
spray again with water if the vinegar seems smelly.

Aliza

Kim247

Today he is a bit better. Although he only ate like 2 mealworms today. So I'm definitely keeping an eye out on him to see if he poops by tomorrow. Hopefully he will be back to himself soon.

MUD

It is interesting that yours does not like the change. We change at least something every week - but I am new to this so maybe I am wrong. I found this article really interesting:

Kim247

He was off for about 2 days. He still tries to climb out periodically but not as before. I'll keep the article in mind. Thanks!

LZRDGRL

I'm glad he's doing better! I used to clean my cages with Lysol, and I put the geckos in different tanks until theirs were dried out and didn't smell anymore. But that only works if you have several cages. I could rotate pretty well; I used to have 48 glass tanks and about six big, wooden cages at the height of my LZRDGRL business ;) And I needed to clean often, because the crickets pooped and I hated that. I'm just about to start from zero again, because I had a baby, and he's big enough now to get introduced to geckos.

Reactions: MUD

Visit our friends