New Leopard Gecko Parent

Meowls

Hello Reader,
:angry:I rescued two leopard geckos about two weeks ago from starvation and the wrong habit set up.
So far I understand everything but I am lost on two things.
For calcium they should be provided with calcium w/ D3 on their feeders and calcium with out D3 in their tank 24/7.
To much D3 is never a good thing for them.
Is there a multi-Vitamin they need as well ?
How many times do I dust the feeders for feeding?
Every other feeding or something ?

I am also lost about lighting .Reading here and there I've seen a few sites explaining cause their nocturnal
they shouldn't have a bright light cause it'll hurt their eyes.

If they need a light should it be a daylight basking light with UVB and if so how many watts?

By the way their in a 20gal tank now and they were both in a 5gal before .
Oh their also both male leos .

Sorry for so many questions
Thank you reader for your help.

attachment.php
Juice & Beatle

Attachments

• ^68450F57F70261CA7A43A76521156A211750CB5151FFB22313^pimgpsh_mobile_save_distr.jpg
    ^68450F57F70261CA7A43A76521156A211750CB5151FFB22313^pimgpsh_mobile_save_distr.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 14

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Welcome to GF! There is more than one way to do things, so you will see different opinions. Too much calcium, as well as too much vitamin D3 can be a problem for geckos as well. Here is what I've been doing since 2009 and it works well for me:
I don't leave any type of calcium in the cage except for my hatchlings (and then I leave calcium without D3)
I use Repashy calcium Plus because it contains calcium, D3 and also the other vitamins that they need (there are other things to use, but this works well for me and is relatively easy to get)
I dust feeders every other feeding.

Lights: In my opinion, as long as there is day light in the room during the day (i.e. the gecko isn't being kept in a room within windows), the gecko doesn't need any special lighting. I've also found that the geckos tolerate the lights in the room being on just fine. My geckos are kept in my living room and dining room and when I'm downstairs in the evening the lights are on and it's not a problem

Males: Although there are indications that 2 males can co-exist together if they've been together since they were juveniles and there are no females that they can see or smell, I do think it's still risky and I recommend you separate them.

Aliza

DrCarrotTail

I'd totally agree with Aliza's statements. I also do not recommend lights on tanks of any sort unless they are non-heat emitting flourescents or LEDs. and only used for display purposes. UVB is an absolute nono with these guys as it can cause horrible sunburns if the geckos actually sit out under it. Heat lamps tend to overheat and dry out enclosures so I recommend only under tank heat that is properly regulated with a dimmer or thermostat.

Keeping males together, even if they've been together for a while is dangerous. They may only get along because they don't feel well and are too weak to fight but I've seen many a picture of the aftermath when they decide they want the space to themselves and it is never pretty and sometimes fatal to the weaker male.

Visit our friends