New member, new Crimson Giants, & question

LauraMI

We have more than enough reptiles but I've been bitten by the gecko-bug. I'd always see them at shows and just wonder at the appeal. Why are they so popular, an animal that just "does nothing", I'd muse to my husband. Then I fell for the Gargoyle face & husband brought one home from Chicago. And with an infant-son always wanting attention, low-maintenance animals that just want proper housing & food & nothing else became very appealing! Like fish: fun to look at, not desiring of cuddles and walks and playtime, and easier to relocate!
Too, I just love building live-planted vivariums! And we've had this empty 2' x 2' x 18" Exoterra that has been burning a hole in my proverbial pocket for a year! Gibson the Gargoyle almost got it but Husband said it was too big for one, baby gecko. Then, this weekend, a group of Crimson Giant Day Geckos landed in our friend's lap and Husband got me a pair. So up went a new viv, three of my houseplants are no longer cluttering the windows, and Baby Boy has new roommates.
Story is that the hatchling's breeder had over-crowding issues so both animals I now have are scarred. Is this damage something that will shed out or no?

Josh2

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
Welcome to the forum! I'm so glad you found us!
How bad is the scarring? I'd love to see some photos of your new geckos and the vivs you've created for them! :)

LauraMI

I'll get decent pictures soon. We just put them in the enclosure this a.m. and they're both a bit shocked and spastic. The scarring is pretty bad. Both geckos are about 6" and I'd guestimate the scars to be between 4 and 5 millimeters. Looks like scales are missing Some less than that, some scratches. Our Panther chameleon has a mark on his tail that these remind me of and his "scales" never came back over that tiny spot...
Glad to be here too; thank you! I have enough to take care of but, sure, why not add something else, right? I do prefer live-planted enclosures to not; I love plants, worked in the interior horticulture industry for years here in Metro-Detroit... Adding a live animal to the live plants is just so perfect!

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Welcome. I also love plants and reptiles. You may find info about the scarring by doing some googling. I suspect it will always be visible. I have been doing some research into enclosure size for giant day geckos and you may find that your enclosure will ultimately be too small for a pair. Many people are recommending enclosures with a 4-6 foot dimension.

Aliza

LauraMI

I agree on size. I'm hoping, frankly, that they will turn out to both be males and we'll have to move one along. They aren't high-quality crimsons, (though I believe one of their parents was a blue-morph) so I'm not interested in breeding.

Visit our friends