New & Need Help!

LCunningham

Hey everybody :)

I found your forum while looking for ways to help my new gecko. He (or she!) is an albino leopard gecko... Or, at least, that's what I believe from googling pictures.

I've just adopted... see: rescued... him from a friend's roommate who was just a horrible pet owner. The poor little guy was so skinny when I got him, he hadn't eaten, and he had a horrible shed issue on his head/upper lip/eyes. I've helped coax most of the shed off with warm water, but the eyes are giving me serious problems and I'm worried that if I don't figure this out soon, he's going to go blind, or worse.

Here are some photos over on my blog:

221C Baker Street

They seem to be crusted over with old shed. They're wet in that photo with warm water, but the skin over them is hard. I have it on good authority from the jerk who originally owned him that his eyes were not always like that (I say this because, to me, his eyes look so bad that I wondered if he might have even been born without them.)

Any help would be really, really appreciated.

LepoInc

Get em on a good supplement (I use repashy) and give em a warm soak or two for 10-15 min a day, along with a moist hide in his cage (if you don't already have one)

Sent via Tapatalk whilst caring for Eublepharis macularis'

LepoInc

You should have to soak his eyes. Leave him in the soak then when you get him out, use a wet q-tip to get the shed off

Sent via Tapatalk whilst caring for Eublepharis macularis'

DrCarrotTail

I use what I call a "gecko sauna." Basically you put him in a tupperware with about a half inch or 95 degree water. You can put in a balled up paper towel for him to stand on if you're worried about him being weak. Put the lid on the Tupperware and leave him in there for 10-20 minutes. The high humidity will soften the shed on his eyes over time so you don't need to get water directly on his eyes. If your house is cold I would put the tupperware over the heat tape or heating pad in his cage while he's soaking. I would do this 1-2 times a day for a week. I wouldn't try to get the shed off yourself and just let the humidity work at it. My thinking is that if you can get it off gently with a q-tip then he should be able to lick it off. If the shed doesn't come off by the end of a week I would take him to a vet as there may be something going on underneath. Good luck!

Visit our friends