NEW Repashy Crested Gecko Diet Version 3.0

EverEvolvingExotics

I didn't see that anyone posted here about this yet. I thought you'd all like to know a little about the new CGD available for pre-order. I'm interested to see how it affects my colony. This is directly from Allen Repashy.

PRESS RELEASE

Hey Everyone,

It has been nearly two years since I have made any major Crested Gecko MRP changes, I have made a few tweaks along the way, but nothing major. During that two years, I have been pressing forward with my never ending obsession to improve the formula through research on new potential ingredients, and alternate nutrient levels via testing via feeding trials in our breeding facility, and gathering feedback from our team of beta testers.

What's new about it?

I have always been frustrated by the well known fact that geckos just grow a bit faster when fed or supplemented with insects. I don't want to replace the use of insects, as the have their value. I just translate this fact to mean that there is still room for formula improvement.

Insects are much higher in protein than the diets, and have a LOT of fat. The average fat content of crickets is 15%, and mealworms is around 30%. Fat is the main source of energy, providing twice as much energy (read growth) as carbs and protein, which can significantly increase growth rate. Higher protein levels also significantly help increase healthy growth compared to carbs and compliment higher lipid levels.

My dilemma has always been that increasing protein and fat using the main ingredient previously at my disposal (whole egg), decreased palatability. Dried egg has an off odor, and add too much, and the geckos don't want to eat it.

So first thing I did was try to formulate egg out of the formula. This wasn't easy, because egg is a great source of protein in addition to its levels of fat. I addressed this in two ways..... to address the protein, I increased the levels of the pea protein isolate and rice protein concentrate. When these two proteins are combined at the correct ratio, their amino acid profile/bio availability is very comparable to egg protein. I have already been using these ingredients in the formula, and simply increased the levels of these ingredients to compensate for the removal of egg protein.

To replace the egg fats.. which aren't that great because they are very high in cholesterol. It does contain the important phospholipid lecithin, but that has been replaced in the formula by supplying a refined form. We replaced the fat from egg, with a balanced blend of stabilized rice bran, flax, and an algae that actually contains high levels of DHA, as well as EPA.... the best fats on the planet (omega 3 EFA's). We also added Arachidonic Acid..... another important fat that is not available from plant sources. So now we have a source of balanced essential fatty acids in a package that doesn't have the off odor that we got from the whole egg powder.....

In 2010 we used these new ingredients to create a formula that nutritionally had the same profile as the original formula and the geckos went nuts for it. But I wasn't done yet...... the geckos liked it so much, I decided to try to increase the total protein and fat levels for better performance. With the previous formula, this was not possible, because increasing using the egg, reduced consumption.

This time, the consumption and acceptance of the higher protein/fat formula was very well accepted. We saw virtually no consumption changes when we increased protein by nearly 10% and fat by nearly 5%.... (we are removing only honey and sugars to compensate) Levels much beyond my target goal.......

So we backed the protein down to a 5% increase, and fat to 2% (my target) and fed this formula to our colony in side by side comparisons with the original formula for the whole of 2011 and the first half of 2012. Overall growth rate, hatch rate, and survival all improved, and at the same time, diet consumption increased by nearly 20%. (we had to feed 20% more product to keep them from emptying the bowls to the same level as the original formula)

For the last six months, we have been sending samples to our dealers and beta testers to confirm our in house results and have had wonderful reports.

Consumers will notice that it mixes up a little bit differently than the original formula. It requires a bit less water to get a similar consistency..... but that is about it.

We polished it off by adding a little mango flavor to the "Original Flavor" and have now released it to our distributors, and on our Retail site. I encourage everyone to make the switch on your next order. Feel free to share your feedback here and let me know what you think.

In the USA and Canada, the Original, Peach, and Mango formulas have not been discontinued. They will all be available to dealers until the end of 2012. I am confident that by this time, the demand for these formulas will have dried up.

Outside North America, we are only shipping the New Formula to our Dealers, so inventory of the original formulas is limited to stock on hand. New European import restrictions and our distribution logistics have made this formula much easier to export, thus the decision to go this route.

Cheers, Allen Repashy

INGREDIENTS: Pea Protein Isolate, Germinated Brown Rice Protein Concentrate, Stabilized Rice Bran, Dried Honey, Fructose, Flax Seed Meal, Schizochytrium Algae (source of DHA), Dried Fig, Dried Date, Alfalfa Leaf Meal, Dried Kelp, Spirulina Algae, Calcium Carbonate, Malic Acid, Taurine, Natural Fruit Flavors, RoseHips, Calendula Flower, Marigold Flower Extract, Phaffia Rhodozyma Yeast, Paprika Extract, Turmeric, Potassium Citrate, Guar Gum, Salt, Magnesium Gluconate, Canthaxanthin, Calcium Propionate and Potassium Sorbate (as mold inhibitors), Rosemary Extract and Mixed Tocopherols (as preservatives), Lecithin, Vitamins (Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D Supplement, Choline Chloride, Ascorbic Acid Phosphate, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Beta Carotene, Pantothenic Acid, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement).

Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein min. 27%, Crude Fat min. 7%, Crude Fat max. 9%, Crude Fiber max. 6%, Moisture max. 8%, Ash max. 5%, Calcium min. 1.2%, Calcium max. 1.4%, Phosphorus min. 0.6%, Vitamin E min. 100 IU/lb, Vitamin D min. 1000 IU/lb, Vitamin A min. 10,000 IU/lb.

DIRECTIONS: Mix one part MRP with two parts water by volume, as a starting point. The mixture may appear watery at first, but will thicken after several minutes. If separation occurs over time, use less water. As fed, MRP should be like a thick milkshake. Feed geckos in the evening and remove within 36 hours.

Hannibal

Gray Sky Exotics
Sounds like a great improvement and I'm sure my gang will enjoy, but I really wish it would be available in different flavors without having to order 220lbs of it (that's the quantity needed to order for him to make it in a different flavor other than original).

Visit our friends