New to fat tails

smsararas2

Hey everybody,

I am completely new to fat tails but not to the lizard world, totally addicted now....LOL. I was wondering what morph this is. Sorry if you are all rolling your eyes about how easy it i but I just don't know.

Thanks guys!

TokayKeeper

Evil Playsand User
Appears to be your standard, wild-type striped AFT. The normal banded and striped forms are natural occuring morphs. I had a pair of fresh imports back in 97/98 that weren't even in country for a week. My male was striped and female was banded. I got about 50/50 banded to striped babies through breeding them.

Carinata

Breeder of High End AFTs
Stripe is a dominant trait. You breed a stripe with anything you WILL get a certain ratio of stripes. Tokaykeepers stripe was obviously a het. stripe because he threw 50/50 stripes and bandeds.

tlbowling

Geck~OCD
Stripe is a dominant trait. You breed a stripe with anything you WILL get a certain ratio of stripes. Tokaykeepers stripe was obviously a het. stripe because he threw 50/50 stripes and bandeds.

I'm still learning genetics, but are you sure about this? I thought the stripe was not determined whether it was dominant or not, and I thought nothing could be het. For a dominant trait? It either is or its not. Just like g leos can't be het enigma or fatties het whiteout? Or Do I have it all wrong still?

Oh yea, and that's a striped normal;)

Last edited:

PDoogle

I'm still learning genetics, but are you sure about this? I thought the stripe was not determined whether it was dominant or not, and I thought nothing could be het. For a dominant trait? It either is or its not. Just like g leos can't be het enigma or fatties het whiteout? Or Do I have it all wrong still?

Oh yea, and that's a striped normal;)

You've got it right, but there are a couple of things being talked about. Phenotypically (meaning simple what the animal looks like) for a dominant trait- it either is or isn't. That being said, you can have a stripe in a couple of ways genetically. If there are 2 alleles for stripe, in this instance, say S (stripe) and s (no stripe), an animal with a stripe could have either SS or Ss genes and both look identical in regards to the stripe.

If one parent had a stripe and the other didn't. the possible combinations for the striped parent is SS or Ss, and the ONLY combination for the unstriped parent is ss.

If the striped parent was homozygous for stripe- SS- (SS x ss)

Then the only babies that are possible are Ss - meaning all Het stripe genotypically, and all striped phenotypically.

If striped parent is heterozygous for stripe (Ss x ss)

Then the outcomes are as follows - Ss, Ss, ss, ss - so 50/50 of each.

Hopefully this helped a bit instead of making it worse :)

tlbowling

Geck~OCD
You've got it right, but there are a couple of things being talked about. Phenotypically (meaning simple what the animal looks like) for a dominant trait- it either is or isn't. That being said, you can have a stripe in a couple of ways genetically. If there are 2 alleles for stripe, in this instance, say S (stripe) and s (no stripe), an animal with a stripe could have either SS or Ss genes and both look identical in regards to the stripe.

If one parent had a stripe and the other didn't. the possible combinations for the striped parent is SS or Ss, and the ONLY combination for the unstriped parent is ss.

If the striped parent was homozygous for stripe- SS- (SS x ss)

Then the only babies that are possible are Ss - meaning all Het stripe genotypically, and all striped phenotypically.

If striped parent is heterozygous for stripe (Ss x ss)

Then the outcomes are as follows - Ss, Ss, ss, ss - so 50/50 of each.

Hopefully this helped a bit instead of making it worse :)

So are you saying that it takes a stripe phenotype to make a stripe? Because I could have sworn in all of my research, that I read that someone bred 2 normal banded fatties, and got both striped and non-striped babies. I thought that I read that the stripe was just a random thing that can pop out at any time?

Imperial Geckos

LIVE THE LIFE ™
This year I bred a Striped White Out to a Striped Zero...all offspring were Striped.
I also bred a Striped Zero to a Striped Zero....again all offspring were Striped.
Could this be luck? Ill find out again this year. Also i bred a Striped Zero to 2 Banded Normals, i will see what get....

However, i have breed other Striped Morphs, to Striped Normals or hets, and i have gotten a mix of Banded and Striped. I have also bred two Banded geckos together and i have produced Striped.

tlbowling

Geck~OCD
I have also bred two Banded geckos together and i have produced Striped.

Carinata is saying that the stripe is dominant...is that a true statement? I thought nothing could be het. for a dominant trait? So if you bred 2 banded fatties, and produced stripes...the stripe CANT be dominant. Am I right or wrong?

Imperial Geckos

LIVE THE LIFE ™
Carinata is saying that the stripe is dominant...is that a true statement? I thought nothing could be het. for a dominant trait? So if you bred 2 banded fatties, and produced stripes...the stripe CANT be dominant. Am I right or wrong?

You are correct! I prefer to just not try to figure out stripe genetics. Its a naturally occurring thing.

snared99

Luxurious Leopards
Here is my take on striped genetics. I do think they are codom, but the super is visually identical. Reason being is-I have bred stripes to stripes and produced non striped animals, this has happened numerous times throughout the years. It is like breeding a codom to codom snow, 25% will not show the trait. This is why every now and then a non striped animal pops up, or when you bred a stripe to a banded not all are striped.

We used to think this trait was recessive and the striped gene was so intergrated we could not figure what was het and what was not. But over the years this trait definetly is showing a codom/dom feature. Let me know if this makes sense to everyone, it has been racking my brain for years and this is what i came up with.

Imperial Geckos

LIVE THE LIFE ™
Pat...But what is more brain rattling is, if it acts codom/dom...how can striped animals pop up from 2 non striped parents? I have had this happen on various occasions.

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
I've hatched out stripes from banded adults as well. I've also had banded and striped clutchmates. In fact Alex, one of the clutches laid by the girls I got from you had one banded and one stripe, I still have the babies, and the mother was a banded. I don't really worry about stripe genetics, stripes don't change much about the phenotype of the animal(there are exceptions, like patternless) in my eyes and it's a naturally occurring variation; breeding for it is sort of pointless.

Visit our friends