New to gecko

Charlotte1212

Hi,

i brought my son a leopard gecko 3 weeks ago for his b day. I have been reading a lot about settling them in before handling them. He’s picked him up a few times but gecko hissed and tried to get away so I think it’s set her back a bit. We have left him alone now to settle in. Have been talking to him l. Feeding with tweezers and my son has been putting his hand in to get used to him. Is there anything else we can do so they bond. Any advise would be appreciated

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
To be honest, I don't know if a leopard gecko really "bonds" and some geckos never want to be held. If it's a young juvenile it will hiss. The best bet is to continue to have your son put his hand in the cage and talk to the gecko. He may be able to offer him a feeder from his hand. I don't know how old your son is. If he's more like 5-7, maybe you (if you're willing) could pick up the gecko by scooping it up from below and make a little cave out of your hands (gecko in one palm, other palm over the top of it) where the gecko might feel safer.

Aliza

Charlotte1212

Thank you for your reply. We have been talking to him and he seems more settled. Apprantly gecko is 5 months old that’s what the man in the shop told me. My son is 9. I think if we keep doing what we are doing they will get more used to each other.

Treavor_The_Geck

To be honest, I don't know if a leopard gecko really "bonds" and some geckos never want to be held. If it's a young juvenile it will hiss. The best bet is to continue to have your son put his hand in the cage and talk to the gecko. He may be able to offer him a feeder from his hand. I don't know how old your son is. If he's more like 5-7, maybe you (if you're willing) could pick up the gecko by scooping it up from below and make a little cave out of your hands (gecko in one palm, other palm over the top of it) where the gecko might feel safer.

Aliza
Yes, My Gecko is relatively new, and I have been doing the cave thing and he/she trusts me enough to fall asleep in my hand cave

DesertJungleBoii

Hi,

i brought my son a leopard gecko 3 weeks ago for his b day. I have been reading a lot about settling them in before handling them. He’s picked him up a few times but gecko hissed and tried to get away so I think it’s set her back a bit. We have left him alone now to settle in. Have been talking to him l. Feeding with tweezers and my son has been putting his hand in to get used to him. Is there anything else we can do so they bond. Any advise would be appreciated
I would feed them wax worms, superworms or horn worms. Their treats for Leo's. So their not intended to be used for meals. Hand feeding them these kinds of treats will help bond

Gecko0818

Hi,

Well whenever I get a new Leopard Gecko I usually handle them daily even if they don’t appreciate it. As time pass they will tame down and become easier to handle. As far as bonding goes I would let your son feed them because they will start to recognize him as the one who brings food. My Leopard Geckos will come to the front of the tank when I walk by if they’re hungry. It’s so cute, but that’s about as far as the bonding goes.

Human Alien

Leopard Gecko's actually love to bond with the people person who looks after them on a daily basis. My S.G.Tremper Albino Male lobes it when I rub under his chin, down both side of his body and will actually climb out thru the front opening doors onto my hand up my arm and sits in the crease of my neck/shoulder area and just absorb my 98.6 f° I'm radiating out and just enjoys looking around when I walk around taking care of his 5 girl Harem, maybe that's it he loves his girls during breeding season. ""They're great ain't they""

Visit our friends